Jun 3, 2014 - SOLCA Cancer Ward for Children


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
June 4th 2014
Published: June 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday a group of us went to the SOLCA Cancer Ward for Children here in Cuenca. Debi had a chance to go three months ago, with two other ladies from church. This time there was six of us. Kathy Dodd, Nancy Korica, Jennifer England, John Thompson, Debi and I.

Jennifer did face painting, Nancy helped serve, and the rest of us made balloon animals, flowers, hats and swords. Nancy was having so much fun "dueling" with one of the kids that she bumped into a room divided that fell on top of some boxes on the other side. When it happened it caused the bottom of the divider to kick up and it hit her behind her knee. Later in the evening Debi went to her apartment and waited with her for an ambulance ($40) to take her to the hospital. Nancy stayed in the hospital overnight and Debi stayed at her apartment.

The doctors had her go through a sonogram and an MRI ($250). They reported that she has a hematoma behind the knee which has caused swelling, so she will have to undergo a procedure to have it removed.

Nancy's husband Mike went back to the States on Sunday, so we have been the communications link with him to let him know how she is doing.

Back to SOLCA - Every three months the ward has a birthday party for the children going through treatment. This party had 170 young patients and their family members. It was such a joy doing things for these children. Most smiled, some laughed and some were just straight faced. Mostly because some of them come from the Amazon jungle and have never seen white people before.

It was very hard to keep smiling and laughing with them, because for some this will be their last birthday.

We are so thankful that the Lord has blessed us with this opportunity. We have been invited to come back for any of the birthday parties, the Christmas party and we have even been asked to become godparents to some of the children. By becoming godparents we will become part of their family and be able to visit them in the hospital.

God is so good!!

No pictures today. Only the family members are allowed to take their pictures.

Advertisement



6th June 2014

Wow!
I was talking to someone at church on Wednesday about our trip to Israel. We mentioned your name and wondered what you were up to. Tim Googled your name (one can find anything on the internet! ) and there you are in Ecuador!!!!! You two are amazing and still loving and serving the Lord. I will let the "family" at CCRC know of your adventures. Love you, Tim and Linda Eddy

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.8kb