Colombia Refuge School - March 13, 2014


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
March 14th 2014
Published: March 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

One of the reasons we came to Cuenca was to get involved with the Cuencanos. For about the past month we have joined some others from our church and have been volunteering at a school that teaches Colombian Refugees. Many Colombians have emigrated to Ecuador to escape the drug cartels.

We go to the school every Thursday at 10:30 and attempt to teach the kids English. The class room that we are in have three tables set up - a large table for 3-4 year olds, a smaller one for 5 year olds and an even smaller one for 6 year olds.

These children are so precious. Some of them just stare at me, others whisper 'Papa Noel'. When they mis-behave I just wag my finger at them.

Thankfully we have another girl from church that speaks excellent Spanish, so she is our leader. Yesterday the schedule was:

1. Hello, My Name Is....
2. 5 Little Monkeys...3. Head, Shoulder, Knees Toes.4. Simon Says - body parts5. Hokey Pokey - Introduce song/game6. Coloring Page - Face7. Body Parts Flash Cards

The Head, Shoulder, Knees Toes routine takes the place of our cardio workout for the week. It is really funny to see some of the Ecuadoriano teachers trying to follow along with the Hokey Pokey. It's even funnier to Debi and I doing it - it's been a long time since we tried this. You can see Debi doing it in one of the pictures.

Thank you Lord, for allowing us to have this joy in our lives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.419s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb