Now in Cuenca~


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
March 16th 2008
Published: March 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hit the Beach!

After leaving Quito, we drove through the rainforest to the Esmeraldas, Ecuador's African coast. We spent the night in Atacames, know for it's beach parties. So one night was enough!

Waking up to a wild hair in Banos yesterday, we drove to Quito and hopped a plane to Cuenca. God so blessed us with 2 available plane tickets and we departed only 2 hrs after arriving in Quito.
Cuenca is the 3rd largest city in Ecuador, but plainly the most charming. Walking the cobblestone streets, we could easily be in Italy. The city's colonial architecture with a rich collection of churches, plazas and buildings is amazing. No wonder the town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Cuenca has 4 rivers running through its valley.
Today we caught a taxi across the river to "New Town" and walked up the hill discovering beautiful new homes, the university, and the River Mall. This Mall is one of the nicest we've visited in the States! WiFi throughout and a station where you can plug in your laptop, a food court, and various numerous shops, including appliances and Puegot, Toyota, and also a supermarket like a Fred Meyer. We walked along the pretty riverfront park-they had a zipline in with the play equipment. It looked fun. You see families out together a lot. The people here are very open in their affection, daughters with their
CanoaCanoaCanoa

We could've stayed much longer here! Our room was on the 3rd level and the ocean views from our terrace were stunning!
arms around their moms, children everywhere...Today is Palm Sunday and the Indigenous people are out in force to sell their woven palms. Unbelievable woven creations-some with flowers, some woven into objects, all to bring to mass this morning. During our walk we found a Baptist Church which had a service for the deaf that had just ended. What a blessing it was to us just to know His presence is here in Cuenca! God bless them!
Downtown in the historical heart of Cuenca, the plaza and its park is bustling with energy. On one side is the Flower Market. Evidently in the turn of the century (19th), women weren't allowed to work so the city decided to set up the flower market for the women's use only as a diversion! There's plenty of shopping downtown as well but it's Sunday so I will have to explore another day.
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but it rains at least once a day (so far). Oh well, it really has not cramped our style. It is currently raining, but we have returned from our walk so good timing, I say!
Oh, last night we discovered a most happening place
I love the Beach!I love the Beach!I love the Beach!

Fishing boats preparing to launch for the day's catch amid the crashing waves and viewed from the privacy of our balcony...What a way to begin the day!
called Cafe Eucalyptus. Two stories with a fireplace surrounded by couches, a bar and seating on both levels. They serve tapas and international food theat makes your mouth water(Pad Thai, French bread with Tapenade, hot Cuban sandwiches, stuffed peppers with rice, raisins, and parsley)! We had an Eastern Meditteranean platter with hummus, etc. , a bowl of French onion soup, and blackberry & apply crumble pie. Yum! In addition to delicious food, it was Saturday night-Salsa lessons and 11pm show! We only lasted through one song=15min+. It looked fun and I would have enjoyed the free lesson had it been earlier. We put quite a bit into yesterday!
I am sorry I have not figured out how to publish my pics. But I'm still trying.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sunset in Paradise!Sunset in Paradise!
Sunset in Paradise!

Great pic, huh? You might see this one again on our Christmas card!
Sunday MarketSunday Market
Sunday Market

Markets are a lively place! We were lost and don't even know the name of this town. But what a spectacle!
Same MarketSame Market
Same Market

You don't see this back home!
Drove into a funeral procession in Bahia!Drove into a funeral procession in Bahia!
Drove into a funeral procession in Bahia!

We had to pull over to allow this procession go by. It was just like in the movies.


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb