En route from the Galapagos to Cusco


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
August 16th 2006
Published: August 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A week in the Galapagos drew too quickly to a close.

It was a fantastic experience. Everything from marine iguanas piled up by the hundred to keep warm, to the Galapagos albatross (who live half the year on their own on the Equadorian mainlaind and then fly back to the same albatross to mate and ¨kiss¨incessantly), to the sea lions who swim and play with you underwater, to the turtles who you can trail underwater, to the giant turtles who look at you with large baleful eyes - and much, much more. Wish we could add photos, but this blog site won´t seem to accept photos (it claimed to when set up, but hasn´t accepted any since we started travelling - anyway the internet is so slow in South America, I doubt we could ever get a photo onto even a different site).

Marcus and I nearly got left on one of the islands (Fernandina) - no comments please that that would have been a good thing! We were snorkelling - and the underwater life was particularly good. We did, however, return at two minutes before our deadline to see the last dinghy leaving. I urged Marcus to join me in shouting and waving, but he assured me it was probably a joke. 20 minutes later, when we watched the cruise ship lift the dinghies onto its roof ready for the scheduled lunch time sail to Isabella island, it didn´t seem so much of a joke. Fortunately we were rescued by a rival company.

It was quite a shock to the system to return to Quito - so busy after the Galapagos.

So, we got out for the day and went to the equator line where we balanced eggs (that will stand upright on the head of a nail because there are no magnetic forces), saw water fall straight to the ground from a sink without centrifugal force on the line and either clockwise or anticlockwise when moved a few feet into the Northern or Southern hemisphere, and experienced the fact that forces balance differently, so that even Polly can break Marcus´ arm lock, which she couldn´t do just a few feet off the line.

And now to Lima (tonight) and Cusco first thing tomorrow morning.

By the sounds of it, security is so tight at Heathrow that we probably won´t be allowed back in - so may as well travel indefinitely... (Well, it´s a thought!)

Love to all.

Advertisement



17th August 2006

Hello again
Maybe this will get to you, giving up after this third attempt! Been reading about the Galapagos, sounds incredible as does the whole of your trip. Overall South America seems as if it has made more of an impression than Australasia - is this correct. Bet that seems ages ago now. Pleased to hear that Marcus and Dave got rescued even if it was by a rival company. Enjoy the rest of your time. Been thinking of Marcus today then received your text Mari. Well done, will keep fingers croseed it is good news from Bath. Sur it will be. lots of love to all XXXXXXX
18th August 2006

Thanks to Sue and Phil
We were very excited when we logged on a short time ago. Your message had come through 25 times - we thought we had become incredibly popular but needless to say we hadn´t. But thanks so much for message. Hard to say if Latin America has made more of an impression on the whole family - we´ve done so many great things. I think it has on me (Dave) as it´s so different to anything I´ve ever seen before. Now in Cusco, acclimatising getting ready to do the Inca trail. Marianne is in bed with a headache at 3,350m and we have to go to 4,200. So hope she´s going to be alright. The rest of us are thriving. Love to you both.
18th August 2006

Hello
Hello everyone. I don't think you got my previous messages. Sounds like you're having an amazing time. It's great to hear all about it. You haven't missed much here. Just a few terror alerts and lots of rain in the last few days (my tomato plants are happy). Looking forward to seeing you when you get back. Work has progressed at great speed on the house and the downstairs in now "done" so you'll have to come round for some drinks on your return. Take care and hope everything went well for you marcus with the old results. Love Kirsten

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb