Rain Clouds, Thunder, Mountains and Volcanos


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 26th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Emptying my bladder on the side of the trail, I contemplate my current situation while watching the steam rise. At 1400 ft elevation, engulfed in clouds, the approaching roar of thunder is somewhat concerning being the tallest thing in sight. A wet hail begins and I decide to abandon my goal of climbing to the top of Rucu Pichincha, one of the volcanic peaks around Quito. "Another day perhaps." I head back down the trail to Roana and Monica, back to the shelter of a solid roof and the comfort of a warm cup of tea. I may not have reached the top, but I don't consider the hike a failure. The euphoric, oxygen-deprived, tranquility of hiking alone on a majestic volcano above the clouds brings a smile to my face. The outdoors are a drug and I'm an addict, craving the rush of an adrenaline adventure or a calming dose of natures tranquility. Whether climbing the mountains or just sitting on the beach watching the waves, there is something truly wonderful about the world in which we live. Civilization and cities also have much to offer including spectacular art and music so beautiful it touches your soul. Amazing bridges and buildings that scrape the sky are enough to instill awe and wonder for man's ability to create and shape the world in which we live, but these human constructs seem pale when compared to these awesome volcanoes that surround me, forged from liquid magma and weathered by rain and snow into their current state. Erosion seems to be a beautiful form of natures own style of art that has created some of the most spectacular things I've yet seen, ever changing, unique works in progress that are billions of years old. While cities have their benefits, the constant hustle and bustle, honking of horns, and tainted air wears on my spirit and I eventually need a medicinal dose of nature to rejuvenate and refresh my soul. Like wise nature can eventually become cold and impersonal and I long for my friends and family. Like all things, a balance is needed.

Quito, Ecuador's capital is home to some amazing churches, beautiful modern and ancient artwork and a wide variety of music and dances. Walking around "Old Town" you can admire an abundance of beautiful churches and cobblestone squares. The museums house spectacular indigenous pottery, stone and gold work some of which are thousands of years old. They also feature a variety of praiseworthy colonial and modern art. We saw some amazing panoramics of the Andean highland that were truly inspiring.

On Saturday we traveled to Otavala to experience their famous outdoor market, a two hour bus ride from Quito. Tempted by local weavings, art and handicrafts, Roana literally shopped till she dropped from altitude sickness. We acquired a wide array of inexpensive goods, from stone masks and hand-painted pottery to hand-woven wall hangings and alpaca sweaters. It was surprisingly fun to do a day of shopping and I was able to get some sweet Christmas presents for family and friends.

The next day we journeyed to Mitad del Mundo (the middle of the world) where we stood on the equator and took pictures. It was a little bit of an adventure getting there because we took a public bus, missed the stop we needed and had to walk a bit before catching a bus going the opposite direction. We eventually made it, but I had to carry Roana part of the way because she was still a little ill from the altitude.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Rucu PichinchaRucu Pichincha
Rucu Pichincha

One of the volcanic peaks around Quito
The Well Traveled PathThe Well Traveled Path
The Well Traveled Path

I prefered the one less traveled, because it was grassy and wanted wear.


27th November 2007

A very poetic posting.

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb