World Tour of Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
June 6th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sad eyesSad eyesSad eyes

Shoe shine boy we befriended in the Plaza in Quito
written by Miss Wendy O

After an overnight bus from Huaraz to Lima then a flight to Ecuador, we have finally arrived in Ecuador, our last stop in South America.

Our first impression of the country was an unexpected one. With the busy streets of Quito lined with 'fancy pants' shops, funky restaurants and bars and modern cars it was the most developed country we had been to since Argentina! The wealth of the country mostly comes from their production of oil.

But of course we soon noticed the huge inequality too. We befriended a young shoe shine boy in one of the plazas in Old Town who was trying to earn a buck so he could eat! Yet there were crowds of smartly dressed kids walking to school in their pretty uniforms while the shoeshine boy set to work. The sadness in his eyes sank my heart!

Another surprise to us was that Ecuador uses the US dollar as their currency. When their economy collapsed in 2000 not only did they peg their currency to the dollar to stabilise it, they adopted it. It's hard not to notice the American influence on Ecuador despite the
Catholic influenceCatholic influenceCatholic influence

Ancient church in Quito
denial of the locals. The Ecuadorians are a very proud race!

Stuart and I stayed at a swanky hostel called Hostel San Franciso de Quito in the old town, choosing to splash out a little on our last S American stop. It had a hot tub room too ... nice! We also found the best funky restuarant in New Town called La Boca de Lomo (the mouth of the Wolf). It was Absolut sponsored so we enjoyed a couple of cheeky cocktails.

We had a few days to explore the city. Old town is full of gorgeous colonial buildings, churches and plazas and new town is a mess of offices and McDonalds. I went on a city tour with my tour guide Stuart (he had a strange Scottish accent!). He took me to the old town sites including the cathedral where Sucre, the independence hero of S America, was buried.

We also took a trip to Mitel del Mundo, the equator line, just outside Quito. It was less than interesting with the half finished museums full of rubbish we were charged to enter over and above the park entry fee and a plethora of junk shops.

So this brings us to the end of our South American adventure. It's sad to be leaving such an awesome continent. We've seen and experienced so many amazing things here but we're equally very excited about travelling around the states for a couple of months - the next chapter in our adventure .....

Ciao sud americano amigos
Xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Wendy At the Middle of the worldWendy At the Middle of the world
Wendy At the Middle of the world

The Equator in Ecuador
At the Middle of the worldAt the Middle of the world
At the Middle of the world

Standing on the Equator
Quito architectureQuito architecture
Quito architecture

Statue at the top of the hill
Catholic influenceCatholic influence
Catholic influence

Church in Quito
Hendrix getting a work outHendrix getting a work out
Hendrix getting a work out

Wendy getting down with Hendrix


26th June 2007

How Come????
So how is it that in every picture, Wendy looks gorgeous and Stuat looks like the Don from Italy. How many people did you shoot along the way? Glad to hear that you are having a great time and new and wonderful experiences. Take care Del Boy!

Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 101; dbt: 0.1224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb