The Farm (Pifo/Paluga)


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
November 24th 2006
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fri Nov 24

The Outward Bound instructors said we would like the farm we were staying at in Paluga (just outside of Pifo), but we had no idea that it would be such a wonderful place. Soon after we arrived, our host Matheus gave us a tour of his home where he was born and raised; the place that had once been a plantation, then a monastery, and now an organic farm and felt very much like paradise, if not eden, with its lush grounds and artisan crafted buildings which had an almost Bavarian feel to them. Though the stories he told of this place were captivating, it was his connection to the land that we gleaned through these stories that was truly touching.

That night, after the tour and after a "duffel shuffle" (what we call the pre-trip packing of gear), we had the best dinner. All of the food that we ate while on the farm was from the farm, except for the cheese which was from the neighbor. We were definitely spoiled here, all organic, all fresh, and the food seemed to transfer a cleansing energy the instant it touched the taste buds. For the sake of brevity, I will not rave anymore about the food on the farm, for the same could be said for each meal.


Sat Nov 25
Woke up at 6:15, went into the garden with Matheus, Sam, Dave, and Scott to cut some broccoli, grab a bucket of feed, and traded it all to the chickens for fresh (still warm) eggs. When we brought it to Adel (Matheus's mother) in the house, she looked at the eggs and scoffed something to the effect of "lazy chickens." Not to worry though, she said they'd lay more later.

After breakfast, we boarded the bus to do some acclimitization hiking at Cuicocha, a volcanic crater turned lake. On the way, we crossed the equator and took the requisite pictures of ourselves standing with one foot in each hemisphere.

We arrived at Cuicocha around 11:00 and split into our two patrols (small groups) and set out to hike the circumference of the lake, each patrol headed in opposite directions. We spent the first half of the hike with our new instructor Jose and the send with Ryan, also new to us. Both turned out to be great people with amazing skills, experiences, and personalities, which is pretty much par for the course when it comes to Outward Bound instructors. The sights were beautiful and it felt good to be hiking again, and good to be back together as a patrol, our little family within a family. Judging by the fact that everyone passed out on the bus ride back to Paluga, the hike was a good introduction to the altitude.


Sun Nov 26
Woke up on the wrong side of my mat and was cranky as can be. On the bus ride to another acclimitization hike at Pichincha, a volcano in Quito, I pulled my hat over my face and tried not to show my pissed-for-no-good-reason face. Took a tram-ride up to 13,450 feet, than hiked up to how high I do not know. I do know that we were walking in the clouds high over Quito, and it was a beautiful place that at times made me forget about my rotten-for-no-good-reason mood.

Afterwards we headed to Supermax (a grocery store that felt very American) and did the food shop for our upcoming hikes and trek, stocking up on 6 days of food for 20 people. Lots of
SiestaSiestaSiesta

El perro y el Oso.
food. Leaving for Cayambe tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The Futbol FieldThe Futbol Field
The Futbol Field

When this place was a monastery, the monks played futbol (soccer) here. We would continue their tradition in a few weeks...
MatheusMatheus
Matheus

Our tour guide and host with the most.
How to Break a CoconutHow to Break a Coconut
How to Break a Coconut

Matheus showed us how break and eat the miniature coconuts and the many other foods growing along our tour.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb