Day 81 - To the Centre of the World... and Back!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito » Historical Center
June 11th 2010
Published: July 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a late-ish night and a couple of drinks, a lazy morning had us only getting up and having breakfast just before midday. It was ok though, we had big plans for the day, heading off to catch a metro to the Mitad del Mundo at the site of the equator. Unfortunately this didn't go quite as expected. We jumped on the first metro that came after paying our fee and were very surprised when at the next stop most people piled off, and even more surprised when it pulled a u turn across the lanes of traffic and started heading back the way we came from! All in all, a journey back to our start.

To make up for it we headed off to enjoy old town in the sun before a pizza for lunch. Grande suitable for 2-4 people was definitely not Grande! I had to eat very slowly to trick my stomach into being full as the price was Grande! After lunch we headed into the Monestry of San Francisco, the city's largest colonial structure and its oldest church. The main alter is spectacular but we couldn't get too close due to the in process Mass with hundreds of people in the congregation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb