From North Peru to the GALAPAGOS ISLANDS


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
November 18th 2009
Published: November 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Galapagos Islands

Here is some indication of where we have been on Galapagos.Hier ist ne Karte von den Galapagos Inseln und wo wir ungefähr waren.

Santa Cruz TrekSanta Cruz TrekSanta Cruz Trek

Nette Aussicht!
For the newbies - 1st part English, scroll down for German

Off to the Galapagos Islands - Animal Paradise



From Lima we were off to the north of Peru to stop in the hiking Mecca of Huaraz. When we got to the bus station to catch a night bus to Huaraz we ran into Flavia, a Swiss girl who we´d already met in the sand dunes in Huacachina when we went sandboarding. That´s so typical for the Gringo Trail. You keep bumping into the same people. Since then we have been travelling together and now Ryan and I have a ‘T eeerd’ (as an Irish fellow called her dearly).

Huaraz

In Huaraz we went on a 4 day hike that was recommended by 3 of our close friends (Carrie, Chant and Nille). The Santa Cruz Trek is 48 km long and you hike up to a pass at 4850m. Unfortunately the weather wasn´t as good as on our Salcantay Trek in Cusco. We had 3 days of rain and low hanging clouds and only 1 day of sun. When we finally made it up to the pass, it snowed because it was freeeeezing up there.

Nevertheless we had loads of fun and the scenery looked stunning even though the big glaciers were hiding behind the cloud cover most of the time. Our group was a lot smaller this time (5) so that we had to help putting up tents cause our tent man was simultaneously our donkey leader. We are now professional tent erecters as it takes us less than 5 minutes to put one up. Usually we´d get into camp in the early afternoon, warm ourselves´ in the kitchen tent with popcorn, tea and a game of ‘Shithead’. We even managed to explain the game to our donkey man who ended up playing with us - needless to say - he was tewwwaaablle!

Mancora

After the trip we were headed for Mancora, a small beach town in the north of Peru. The bus trip was about 20 hours, so we decided to stop in Trujillo for the day before boarding another night bus. How lucky as we thought Trujillo was really pretty. Ryan was really keen to see another big ruin site so I tagged along. I was concerned to be reeeeally bored after seeing so many ruins in Cusco but the sites
Santa Cruz TrekSanta Cruz TrekSanta Cruz Trek

Kitchen Tent / Küchenzelt
were totally different here due to the different landscape (desert sand). So in the end I was really glad we made it.

Huaca the Luna was very ‘impressivo’ as Ryan would say in his perfect Spanglish. They just started excavating the site a couple of years ago but they have already found very interesting wall paintings. Apparently a palace was filled in with bricks and dirt when a king died and a new palace was built on top of the old one hence why Huaca de Luna looks like a pyramid (upside-down). When the good old royal chap died, he was brought to his own tomb accompanied by his wife (wives), children (except for the oldest son) and his servants. They were all alive! They would give the remaining family a hallucinating drink so that they would be asleep when they were buried alive. Just to make the suffocating process painless for them. Nice traditions!

Galapagos ‘Ze Bomb’ Islands

Ok now finally moving on to the Galapagos Islands. Ever since I learned about Evolution and Charles Darwin´s theory of ‘Survival of the Fittest’ I´ve been fascinated by these islands and its unique wildlife. Now the time had
Santa Cruz PassSanta Cruz PassSanta Cruz Pass

Geschafft!
finally arrived to get there! Most of the people you meet tell you how expensive the islands are but thanks to our travel guru Carrie we knew better! Equipped with our personal travel guide to the Galapagos Islands - a very lengthy email authorised by Ze Galla_her - we had nothing to worry about. Not only had she recommended the good and bad trips and sights but also listed places to stay as well as places to eat (what happened to the Entertainment part, Carrie?).
We ended up staying on 3 main islands (Santa Cruz, San Cristobal and Isabella) and caught water taxis in between the islands. WOW! What an experience. It was certainly our HIGHLIGHT in 4 months of travelling. It is as if you are in a big zoo without fences. There are animals everywhere - the water, on land, in the streets, at the fish market - everywhere. The diversity of the animals is mind-blowing.

We swam with sea lions that come really close to you. They look at you with their big eyes and then swim around you and come back to tease you again. Several times we snorkelled around gigantic sea turtles. One turtle was as long as I am when I stretch out my arms. We just swam with the turtle for 20 or 30 minutes - eye on eye! Every now and then she (all turtles are she´s right?) would look to the site and right into my eyes - amaaaazing!

Of course I went diving as well. You can´t come here and not go diving. Our personal travel guru and her assistants recommended us the dive site Kicker Rock just 20 minutes of San Cristobal Island. Me and the dive master watched schools of sharks as well as turtles and loads of beautifully coloured fish. This has been one of the best dives I´ve done so far (out of my 18 dives he he).

San Cristobal is known as the sea lion island. You can watch sea lions at the beach and you can just walk up close to them. At this time of the year they all have little pups, which was sooo cut. You just need to ensure that you don´t touch the pups otherwise they may be rejected by their mummies.

So a typical day on the Galapagos would go like this: get up early,
Santa Cruz TrekSanta Cruz TrekSanta Cruz Trek

Hallo Esel! Magst in mein Zelt kommen?
rent snorkel gear and get yourself to the beach. Most of the time we were the only people at the beach (except for the sea lions but they aren´t people right!). Swim with a variety of water creatures, then go for a walk to watch some crazy birds and huge iguanas or go and visit 200 year old massive land turtles also called tortoises (very hard word for me to say). Then hit the sack totally exhausted.

We also went on 2 organised day trips to some uninhabited island. You can´t visit them without a guide. On our first excursion we visited North Seymour Island where you can see loads of birds and even more bird sh*t. It actually looks as if it has snowed here... The most famous bird is the blue-footed booby solely because of his name. Ryan looooved it!

We spent 12 days here on 3 different islands. It was really nice because we were able to get an impression of the local culture. On one day Ecuador played in the World Cup Qualifier against Peru and ALL Ecuadorians wore their yellow jersey. Groups of people swarmed around any type of TV no matter of
Santa Cruz Trek / Mooorning!Santa Cruz Trek / Mooorning!Santa Cruz Trek / Mooorning!

Moooorgen! Ordentlich eingemummelt!
its size or location. Many would stand outside a shop or restaurant and cheer on their team. Unfortunately they lost but they took it easily as they still had another chance to qualify.

The day before leaving the Galapagos I had a little accident. We thought that we had already said our good-byes to the old electric showers that we frequently used in Bolivia and south Peru. Unfortunately this hotel hadn´t updated their bathrooms yet so was still equipped with a ‘bad’ shower. All the stuff you have to check on when inspecting a room before checking in. Anyway so I had a shower on the second last day (as you do every now and then) and suddenly the showerhead above me explodes!!! The electricity died straight away and sparks were flying all around my head. Of course I thought the sparks had fallen onto my hair and obviously didn’t want to be electrocuted so I ran out of the shower, screaming my head off, hands waving around my head and then BAM - I totally lost it, slipped on the floor and fell - hard! Apparently I was shaking (no wonder I thought my hair was on fire,
Huaca de la LunaHuaca de la LunaHuaca de la Luna

Aufgedeckte Wandmalerei
because it really stank) when Ryan came to rescue me. But luckily it wasn’t my hair that was burning; it was the plastic on the shower head. The whole scene killed the electricity on the first floor of the building. I had to ice my shins and recover from the shock! Naturally Flavia had Bach flower spray in her first aid kit (she carries a 20 kg pack of medication with her), which is a natural tranquilizer. Thank god for that! As it turned out nothing was broken but I had a massive bruise on my thigh the next day (that part didn’t even hurt that night). Since then I still have a little knob on my shin....hopefully it goes away one day...

I am closing here and hope you will enjoy the photos. I can only recommend the Galapagos Islands to everyone. I would have loved to stay longer. Enjoy the piccies. I have to admit we have sooo many I can’t upload them all.

Stay in touch.

Big hug

Chris





Auf zu den Galapagos Inseln - das Tierparadies



Von Lima ging es weiter in den Norden Peru´s. Wir
Huaca de la LunaHuaca de la LunaHuaca de la Luna

6 neue Paläste wurden erbaut. Man erkennt im Hintergrund die verschiedenen Bilder.
machten Halt in dem kleinen Wanderparadies Huaraz. Als wir in den Bus nach Huaraz einstiegen, trafen wir wieder auf Flavia, eine Schweizerin, die wir schon in den Sanddünen in Huacachina getroffen hatten. Das ist der typische Gringo Trail (Backpacker Weg, den alle machen). Seither sind wir jetzt zu dritt unterwegs... Der arme Ryan jetzt hat er 2 Frauen, die zufriedenstellen muss.

Als wir in Huaraz angekommen sind, haben wir eine 4-tägige Wanderung gemacht, die uns von 3 Freundinnen (Carrie, Chantal und Nille) empfohlen worden war. Der sogenannte Santa Cruz Trek ist 48km lang und geht bis auf 4850m hoch. Leider hat das Wetter diesmal nicht so mitgespielt wie bei unserer Salkantay Wanderung in Cusco. Wir hatten 3 Tage regnerisches Wetter und nur einen Tag Sonne. Als wir oben am Pass ankamen, war es so kalt, dass es sogar geschneit hat. Die Wolken lagen so tief, dass wir keine der umliegenden Gletscher bewundern konnten.

Nicht desto trotz hat es viel Spass gebracht und wir konnten die Landschaft trotzdem geniessen. Bei diesem Trek war unsere Gruppe viel kleiner (5). Wir haben sogar geholfen, die Zelte aufzubauen, da unser Zeltmann zugleich auch der Eselsführer war. Nachmittags kamen wir dann immer früh im Camp an und haben uns in unserem Speisezelt aufgewärmt. Es gab immer lecker Popcorn und Tee. Wir haben unserem Eselsmann sogar ein Kartenspiel beigebracht. Per Hand und Fuss - alles ganz witzig.

Trujillo

Von Huaraz wollten wir dann weiter nach Mancora, einem kleinen Strandort im Norden Peru´s. Da die Busfahrt 20 Stunden dauern sollte, legten wir einen Zwischenstop in Trujillo ein. Zum Glück kann ich nur sagen, denn die Stadt hatte wunderschöne Gebäude und wir besuchten zwei weitere Ruinen: Chan Chan und Huaca de la Luna. Ich war mir erst nicht sicher, ob das doch etwas langweilig werden könnte, da wir schon so viele Ruinen gesehen haben, aber es war hier ganz anders. Andere Umgebung, anderer Volksstamm; hier wurden die Häuser und Festungen aus einem Sandgemisch erbaut, da wir hier in der Wüste sind.

Huaca de la Luna war sehr beeindruckend. Hier wurde erst vor ein paar Jahren mit den Ausgrabungen angefangen und man hat viele Wandmalereien gefunden. Angeblich wurde ein Palast zugemauert, wenn der König starb und ein neuer wurde obendrauf gebaut. Wenn der gute Königsmann in die Grabkammer gelegt wurde, hat man damals auch die Frau(en) und alle Kinder (ausser den ältesten Sohn) und
MancoraMancoraMancora

Pelicane auf Futtersuche / Pelicans looking for food
Diener mit ins Grab gebracht (lebendig!!). Ihnen wurde ein hypnotisierendes Mittel gegeben, damit sie einschlafen und dann ‚ohne Schmerzen‘ erstickt sind. Krasses Ritual!

Mancora

Als wir endlich in Mancora ankamen, ging es nur um: Sonne, Strand, Pool, lesen und schwimmen. Ryan und ich übernachteten in einem ganz süssen und rustikalen Bungalow direkt am Strand. Wir konnten sogar direkt am Strand reiten. Ein Einheimischer brachte uns die Pferde direkt vor die Tür und ist dann schön hinter uns hergewatschelt, damit die Pferde nicht zu langsam gingen.

Galapagos Inseln

Ok - nun endlich geht´s auf die Galapagos Inseln zu! Mein heimlicher Favorit! Seitdem ich damals im Bio Unterricht von der Evolution und den Darwinischen Theorien von ‚Survival oft the Fittest‘ gelernt habe, haben mich diese Inseln fasziniert. Nun war es endlich so weit! Die meisten Leute erzählen einem wie teuer es ist, die Inseln zu besuchen, aber Dank unserer guten Reiseerfahrenen Carrie, wurden wir vom Gegenteil überzeugt. Carrie hatte uns eine seitenlange Email hinterlassen, wo genau drin stand, was gut ist, wo man am besten schläft, ißt usw. Ein wahres Goldblatt! Unser persönlich geschriebener Reiseführer zu den Galapagos Inseln.
Es wird nämlich nur richtig teuer, wenn man eine
On the way to get some fishOn the way to get some fishOn the way to get some fish

Der Pelikan fängt an Fische zu fangen
Kreuzfahrt macht. Wir haben alles individuell organisiert, auf 3 verschiedenen Inseln geschlafen und Wassertaxis zwischen den Inseln hin und hergenommen.

Wow! Was für ein Erlebnis. Unser ABSOLUTES HIGHLIGHT in 4 Monaten! Es ist, als ob man in einem grossen Zoo ist, nur ohne Zäune. Die Tiere sind überall! Im Wasser, auf dem Land, in den Strassen, am Strand, beim Fischmarkt usw. Die schiere Artenvielfalt ist wahnsinn! Wir sind mit Seehunden geschwommen, die ankommen und mit einem spielen. Gaaanz grosse weite Augen schauen einen an. Dann sind wir mehrere Male mit riesigen Seeschildkröten geschwommen. Einmal war die Schildkröte genauso lang wie ich mit ausgestreckten Armen. Wir sind ihr ca. 20 Minuten gefolgt. Dann und wann hat sie den Kopf zur Seite gelegt und mir direkt in die Augen geschaut. Atemberaubend. Mein totales Highlight.

Ich bin natürlich auch tauchen gewesen. Von der Insel San Cristobal sind wir zu Kicker Rock (der tretende Fels) rausgefahren. Hier haben ich und der Tauchmaster ganze Gruppen von Haifischen beobachtet sowie Schildkröten und viele farbenreiche Fische. Einer der besten Tauchgänge, die ich je gemacht hab (von meinen 18 oder so Tauchgängen 😊.

San Cristobal ist bekannt als die Seehundinsel. Hier sieht man Seehunde direkt
Almost thereAlmost thereAlmost there

Flügel einfahren und Volldampf voraus!
am Strand liegen und man kann einfach zu den hingehen. Zu dieser Jahreszeit haben viele Seehunde gerade kleine Babies, was natürlich richtig süss war. Man muss halt nur Abstand von den Babies halten und darf sie nicht anfassen.

Ein typischer Tag auf den Galapagos Inseln sieht ungefähr so aus: Morgens früh aufstehen, Schnorchelsachen ausleihen und ab zum Strand. Meistens waren wir die einzigen Menschen am Strand (ausser den Seehunden natürlich, aber das sind ja nun keine Menschen...). Mit diversen Wassertieren schwimmen, dann spazieren gehen und Vögel bewundern, grosse Landdrachen beobachten oder 200 Jahre alte Landschildkröten besuchen. Dann abends tot müde ins Bett fallen.

Wir haben auch 2 geführte Tagesausflüge gemacht, da man auf die unbewohnten Inseln nur mit einem Reiseführer hinkommt. Die erste Tour ging zu North Seymour Island, wo es nur Vögel gab, und gaaaanz viel weisse Vogelschei**e….., das sah fast so aus als hätte es geschneit. Der berühmteste Vogel ist der blaufüssige Boobie (Boobie heisst umgangssprachlich Busen auf Englisch). Typisch Englischer Humor, von daher kann man auch T-Shirts kaufen die sagen ‚I love boobies‘ und dann sind da zwei Patschefüße an den besagten Stellen drauf.

Wir verbrachten insgesamt 12 Tage auf 3 verschiedenen Inseln. Es
Tasting water firstTasting water firstTasting water first

Schon mal Wasser riechen
war richtig nett, denn so konnten wir auch etwas von der einheimischen Kultur mitbekommen. An einem Tag spielte Ecuador gegen Peru im Qualifikationsspiel für die WM und wirklich ALLE Einheimische trugen ein gelbes Fussball Jersey. Es häuften sich die Massen um noch so kleine Fernseher, in jedem Laden und Restaurant. Leider hat Ecuador verloren, aber die Ecuadorianer nahmen es gelassen hin, da sie die darauffolgende Woche noch eine Chance hatten, sich zu qualifizieren.

Am vorletzten Tag vor unserer Abreise hatte ich einen kleinen Unfall. Wir dachten eigentlich, dass wir uns von den altmodischen elektrischen Duschen, die wir in Bolivien und in Süd-Peru benutzten, verabschiedet hatten. Leider hatte unser letztes Hotel wiedereinmal die ‚schlechte‘ alte Dusche. Was man alles checken muss, wenn man sich das Zimmer vorher anschaut, aber egal. Wie gesagt, am vorletzten Morgen vor unserer Abreise hab ich also geduscht (man muss sich ja auch mal wieder sauber machen) und auf einmal ist der Duschkopf explodiert!!! Der Strom ging aus und Funken sprühten. Ich dachte natürlich, dass die auf mein Haar geflogen sind und wollte auch keinen elektrischen Schlag bekommen. Also bin ich wie von der Tarantel gestochen, schreiend aus der Dusche gelaufen, mit meinen Händen fuchtelnd über meinen Kopf und bin TOTAL ausgerutscht und gefallen - PLATSCH! Angeblich hab ich voll gezuckt (kein Wunder, ich dachte meine Haaren waren am Verkohlen, denn es stank total), als Ryan zur Rettung kam. Zum Glück waren es nicht meine Haare, die verkohlt waren, sondern der Duschkopf. Die ganze Aktion legte den ganzen Stromkreis im ersten Stock flach. Ich musste erst mal mein Schienbein mit Eiswürfeln kühlen und mich vom Schock erholen. Flavia hatte natürlich gleich Bachblütenspree zur Beruhigung dabei - hui gottseidank. Wie sich herausstellte, hatte ich nichts gebrochen, aber hatte einen ca. 10cm langen blauen Flecken am Oberschenkel (komischerweise tat das direkt nach dem Fall gar nicht weh). Mein Schienbein ist ok, obwohl ich hab immer noch einen kleinen Knubbel, da wo‘ s anfangs weh tat. Hoffentlich geht der noch weg….

Also hier schliesse ich und hoffe euch gefallen die Fotos . Ich kann die Galapagos Inseln nur jedem empfehlen. Am liebsten wäre ich noch viel länger geblieben. Viel Spass beim Foto gucken. Ich muss ehrlich sagen, wir haben sooooo viele tolle Fotos, ich kann die gar nicht alle hier hochladen.

Laßt was von euch hören.

Ganz liebe Grüsse

Eure Christina





Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 34


Advertisement

MancoraMancora
Mancora

Bier aus Weingläsern? Interessant... Beer out of wine glasses...
Mancora - our Beach HutMancora - our Beach Hut
Mancora - our Beach Hut

Unser Beach Bungalow
Land Iguana GalapagosLand Iguana Galapagos
Land Iguana Galapagos

Laying with my first guana
Tortuga Bay, Santa Cruz IslandTortuga Bay, Santa Cruz Island
Tortuga Bay, Santa Cruz Island

In search for wildlife


19th November 2009

Great photos
Love the photos, thanks for the updates as well. The tan lines on legs are hilarious.
19th November 2009

Ouch!
Hello Lovies! Ouch!... sounds like a painful site.. Im assuming when you came out the shower and slipped you were completely starkers! Lucky you werent sharing a dorm with STan... was that the tasmanian dude? The photos look awesome and you both look very happy and so in LuRRVE! xxoox We are missing you both and bummed we cant see you when we go to sydney for christmas. Love heaps Mrs V , MR V and BABY V (who is kicking up a storm in my belly which is the size of a soccer ball!)
19th November 2009

Moin Ihr Beiden Hübschen, hmmm, Christina, Du hast so viele tolle Sachen gesehen weltweit: Galapagos toppt das alles?!? Vielleicht sollte ich mal ne Campertour dorthin anbieten, als ständig immer OZ, NZ und ZA... Ciao, machtet jut, wir freuen uns auf Euch nächsten Monat!
19th November 2009

wow
wow, looks like an amazing trip, very jealous....ein servus aus dem kalten münchen, save travels...xxjutta
19th November 2009

Well Well
It looks marvelous - lovely pictures from the Galapagos Islands - We are really pleased that u enjoy ur trip so much. It looks like Darwin´s thoughts wasn´t wrong at all. Take care for now and enjoy ur time. Hope to see you soon Cheers Andreas (and I sippose Marina and Julian as well)
21st November 2009

Chris, love the piccies, love the stories, love the travel guru praise. Sorry I let you down on the entertainment front, I reckon you´d have found a beer or three though. See you in Bocas! xx

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 20; qc: 73; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb