Fishes, birds, old people and dinosaurs


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
May 7th 2007
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Not doing diary now (tired) however photos are at

galapagos1
galapagos2
galapagosunderwater

Have decided to do diary now anyway

Diary isnt very exiting, as we didnt really do that much, the amazing bit was seeing the animals so close up- photos give a better idea of why it was so good.

Day one.

Got up at 6am to pack as had crashed the night before and hadnt sorted anything out, so ended up missing breakfast. Got transfer to airport with lots of other (old) people and a few younger ones. The younger ones were obviously on a different boat, and so I got to know the dinosaurs I was to spent the week with on the plane on the way over. This was dull. I spent most of the morning being very relieved that i was in fact there at all, and not in a bus station in Ambato, which was a very real possibility the day before.

got to the islands, was very excited. Got coach to port, where ran around trying to find underwater camera. didnt find one. got little water taxi to boat, which was silly nice. Had fish for lunch, and put stuff in cabin (sharing with John, one of the younger people on the boat, in that he might not have been 60), then in the afternoon went to the Charles Darwin park thing. Was pretty good, saw some giant tortoises which was good. Also had chronic shits and kept having to sprint to the toilet during the middle of informative talks, which was not so good.

Managed to find some internet after on the island, as well as some underwater cameras, which made me happy.

That night after dinner we were taken (we being me, a young danish couple who were a bit odd, and a young 30s couple who were really nice, got on with Colin pretty well, which was a relief) to Raphael the guide´s bar for a beer and some diving video. Good.

The next day was my birthday, which nobody seemed to care about, despite the fact that I´d told all the old people the day before. They had probably forgotten. They were very old and a bit dappy.

Despite the fact that people forgot me, i had a super day anyway. Went to island in the morning and saw marine iguanas, land iguanas and flamigos (from very far away). In the afternoon went to red sandy beach, for sea lions and nesting pelicans. Snorkelling resulted in seeing a few sharks (good), and a scorpion fish.

Early night (about 8.30) as was very tired due to excessive sunbathing

Next day was brilliant, went to lava island thing in the morning, and saw lava lizards and ting, before going on dinghy ride around the island to see blue footed boobies and penguins. Got dropped off the dinghy to snorkel and swam with a penguin for a bit, saw it feeding etc which i got very excited about.

After lunch was a boat ride (sunbathing) to Bartholemé island, which had a cool beach, and snorkelling revealled another shark and a marine iguana swimming right past me, which was again very exciting. Took lots of photos of sea lions and penguins and views.

Back to boat to dry off and then went on a walk up a hill on the island. Was like Mars. Lots of photos. Dinner, and then had a few drinks on the boat as the sun set before very early night (again)

Next day: Best day

Up to go on other walk around other island that looked a bit like a desert but redder, and had lots of sea lions, land iguanas and birds. Was good.

After this had 2 hours travel on big boat to next island (Santa Fe) which had a quite nice white beach with lots of sea lions on it, as well as that sort of aquamarine picture sea, which was crystal clear. Went for a snorkel, saw the following things:

Diamond rays
Eagle rays
Sharks
Sea lions
Giant turtle
cornetfish
other fishes

These were very good to see and made me happy. What annoyed me slightly was that just after we got out of the water a school of 25 or 30 diamond rays swam around the boat. Annoying.

Went for walk around the island as well, and saw more sea lions, lots of endemic land iguanas which were happy to come and feed in front of us, and took a lot of photos. Early night agian ready for

6am start as we were trying to get a walk done before breakfast and leaaving for the airport.

Was good walk, saw friggat birds (ones with red puffy out chin balloon thing on photos) nesting, as well as more boobies and iguanas, one of them came right up to us and ate a cactus flower thing whole after gettting the spikes off it by pawing it in the stones. Was good.

Birds were cool as well, got a video of some of them making funny noises.

Right, the rest of the day was uneventful, just got flight back to Quito, and said a heartfelt goodbye to my new american friends, before checking into huge room with double bed and view over the whole city and the volcano, before ordering a burger to my room, watching TV and being asleep by about 9. Awesome.

Today has been productive. Did phone call, bought new toothbrush, did laundry, done diary, photos, postcards, had lunch, and am almost sorted for finally leaving equador. I like euquador. Booking scuba course for brazil though. Sweeet! I´m going to bed now to read. Its half six. I´m the coolest...

Advertisement



19th May 2007

too much fun
Getting nervous, only a couple of days till you come back and you still haven't encountered any horrible happen to make up for you having a lovely time. Rest assured the karma gods are stewing something brilliant. Maybe you'll have to spend your long distance flight home sat next to a grossly obese person who keeps spilling into your seat and stealing your food. Whatever, I look forward to reading about it.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb