Amazing Galapagos Islands!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
January 7th 2007
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have just arrived back in Quito after 5 incredible days on board the Lobo de Mar 3 (sea lion) cruising around the Galapagos Islands. First day off the boat we saw giant tortoises at the Charles Darwin Research Centre - unfortunately we didn´t get get to see them in the wild but at the centre we got to go right up to them in their enclosures - it was out of this world.

After the first day we pretty much went snokelling and walking on each of the islands everyday and everytime we saw something new. The highlights were swimming with white tipped reef sharks, penguins, sea lions, sting rays and eagle rays and huge turtles. On land, we saw land and marine iguanas (some of them were huge), sealions and their young, flamingoes, blue footed boobies (no rude jokes please) frigates and swallowed tailed gulls. Words don't really do it justice so please look at the photos. Our life was only in danger about 3 times the whole time - once when we were about to go snokelling and a male sea lion charged at us because we were invading his territory. Bryce walked on water trying to get away while I just stood their screaming. The second time we nearly got killed was self inflicted - jumping off the top of our three story boat which was very brave of us I thought. The third time, I got bitten by a jelly fish right arcross my stomach which was painfull at first but was fine after ten minutes - I still have the war wounds to prove it.

Our boat was really fantastic with 16 other passengers which made it nice and intimate. The crew were great too and the food was amazing - a three course meal for lunch and dinner and a hot breakfast every morning - all very vegetarian freindly much to my delight.

The most mind boggling part of the trip was how close we were able to get to the animals and really experience it first hand. The status of the islands as world hertiage listed nature park meant that it was not over run with tourists and we always felt like we were the only once experiencing the islands and wildlife. The weather was perfect everyday and very very hot (I think I may have even tanned!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



8th January 2007

Bryce's boat jump
Mate, that's the gayest jump off a boat I've ever seen! Did you leave your testosterone at home???? Keep havin fun - gaybo ;-)
8th January 2007

Bryce´s spectular leap of faith
Don´t hate me cause you ain't me!
11th January 2007

Keep Having Fun
Keep having fun and don't upset the sting rays. Tan not obvious Georgie. Hi from all at Hamilton

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb