THE GALAPAGOS


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Santa Cruz Island
November 9th 2009
Published: November 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our first (of many) Marine IguanaOur first (of many) Marine IguanaOur first (of many) Marine Iguana

Viewed from our hotel balcony in Santa Cruz
First hour!

Amazing! The Galapagos have not disappointed us and we’ve only been here 1 day! Our flight in was spectacular over the lunar arid landscape of Isla Baltra. Within 5 minutes of being in our room (which, by the way, has a balcony which overlooks the sea) we spotted sea lions on the jetty, thousands of huge red crabs, marine iguanas, other iguanas, other crabs, countless types of birds and all in the most turquoise water you can imagine.

Rest of Day 1
The afternoon was spent planning our next 10 days on the islands. There was so much to see and so little time (and limited funds of course). The day trips out are expensive, $120 each approx., and the flights to the other islands pricey too. But, we’re here for probably the only time in our lives and are determined to see it. There’s lots of free things to do on Santa Cruz where we’re staying - the Darwin Centre, Tortuga Bay, sitting on your balcony watching the wildlife - so come what may this will be an amazing few days. We wandered down the jetties in town in the evening where young seal pups played in the water, some sea lions were sleeping on the jetty and we could just walk around them, blue footed booby birds dived under the water and disappeared for a minute, resurfacing and flying off into the distance. It was wonderful. The town is a bit dusty and nothing special really, but the people in the travel agencies were very nice and helpful and there was not one pushy salesperson in sight.

We were lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves on the rocks below our room. Perfect.

Day 2
Just as perfect as the day before. Andy's day started at 5am as he was up to catch the sunrise (which he reports was fantastic and I slept through).

Our trip took us on a tour around the highlands of the island. First to some massive volcanic craters (something like at Mount Gambier, only bigger and deeper ... and greener). The bird life was good and we fell in love with the little yellow finch that's common here. Then onto a local farm where giant tortoises roam wild. They were huge and there were many (we must have seen 50 or more). The tortoises were generally very relaxed about us being there, although if you got too close they hid in their shells and gave you a warning "hiss". The farm was great to walk around and in wherever you stood you could see a tortoise somewhere.

Finally the trip ended with a wander down a lava tunnel, a vast tunnel that went on for ages (so we eventually turned back and went to the beginning). Not sure how it was formed exactly, but it was impressive. After a wonderful day, we finished with a ride on a giant caterpillar around the town, along with about 20 other excited kiddies (we only did it for Amy, promise!). It was Sunday and the streets were filled with families and there were 3 or 4 volleyball games going on around the town. They really love their sport here.



Advertisement



13th November 2009

Green with envy?
Actaully I am not - I have a little envy but mostly a lot of respect for seeing someone take an unusual choice and make a dreama reality. I am delighted that you all are having such a fantastic experience. You are no doubt not missing England with its dark wintry weather and bogged down politics and economy, enjoy - Swiss Family Hewlettson!
17th November 2009

Komodo Dragon
Happy Holidays and Greetings From Royal Ascot. All seems amazing. Not sure if this will be sent to you - however if so - The pictured Iguana - are they related to the Komodo Dragon? Only just recently saw a facinating programme on those beasts narated by Sir Richard Attenborough and they were incredible and are those crabs like the ones on Christmas Island? Sending lots of Love from across the ocean. Wref and Di x

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb