San Cristobal and Los Lobos


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » San Cristóbal Island
February 20th 2010
Published: February 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Nice early wake up to be take to the interpretive centre which is a cool little museum that gives you an interesting geological and historical background on the Islands. I think a place becomes much more interesting once you know a little bit about how it became what it is today.

After the centre, we had some free time. To shop! Or roam around San Cristobal. It´s a real modern looking, clean place but I have to admit that I did spend almost all of my time there looking in the shops (and yes I can hear the ´such a girl´comments being hurled at me right now.)

On the way to the island we passed tonnes of boats all just sitting there, mostly acting as sun loungers for sea lions. They had been apprehended by the police (the boats not the sea lions) for being in the waters illegally (probably illegal for illegal fishing.) Their capatin is arrested and the boats stay there until there is a need for them.

After San Cristobal we returned to the boat for a rest before snorkelling on los lobos (Sea Lion Isand).

As with anything that requires the remotest but of coordination, it took me a while to get used snorkelling. Once I finally caught the hand of it however, it was brilliant! I saw baby sea lions playing, two turtles (one of which was an endangered species) and lots of beautiful fish.

After snorkelling, we actually got to see the Island - wow! As we stepped off of the dinghy, a huge alpha male sea lion came hurtling towards us looking pretty angry but luckily Kike managed to scare him away.

On the path from the dinghy to the island, there were 2 tiny baby sea lions and if you blew air at them, they would give you a kiss!

Lobos was a beautiful island but in a totally different way to the others island. Each island is so unique! It was full of rocks with the waves splashing against them whilest the sea lions and blue footed boobies hung out on them getting a nice soaking from the waves.

We walked across the rocks, (well I tripped across them being the typical city girl I tend to be) and found two blue footed boobies. The male was trying his best to get the female´s attention by whistling to her but she was playing pretty hard to get so he had to do his special boobie dance in the hope of a glance in his direction. I liked it but she was pretty unimpressed. I left them to get on with it.

Further down the path were 2 female iguanas fighting for nursing space and above them in the branches, 2 beatiful red chested frigate birds. The birds looked so majestic sitting in their tree looking down on us with their striking colours.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb