Isla Isabela, Galapagos, Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Isabela Island
January 5th 2014
Published: January 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 5, 2014

We started our day with a ½ hour drive, through some nice country side, to the Sierra Negra Volcano. From here we began our trek of 2 ½ hours to the top of the caldera left from a recent ( geologically ) eruption of this volcano. This is a beautiful place !!

The weather cooperated and the clouds lifted for an exceptional view of the caldera. This crater is about 7 KM wide. Some hot spots remain and steam is formed from rain water filtering into the lava flows.

Then the 1 ½ hour walk back to the base.

For sure we found a few muscles we forgot we had. This is a significant trek. We only did about 2/3 of the trek that is available as there is a longer trek that continues to the “Volcan Chico” that is a smaller crater formed with a smaller eruption on the side of the same volcano. Enough for us.

Back to a very good lunch at a beautiful farm on the way back to Villamil. This afternoon we took a small boat to a nearby island for animal and bird viewing including penguins. We continued to Tintoreas Inlet, a lave flow / canals that are the breeding ground for many Iguanas, and a short walk through the lava beds. Lots to see and do here including some great viewing of sharks in the canals. Many family groups of Iguanas of all sizes.

The afternoon continued with a short boat trip from Tintoreras to a small bay for a great snorkel adventure swimming with the sea lions and a lot of different fish.



Back to Hotel Iguana Crossing for a cold cervesa and a much needed rest. Great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb