Isla Isabela, Galapagos, Ecuador


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Isabela Island
January 4th 2014
Published: January 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

January 4, 2014

Our first full day on Isla Isabela we had an early start and a 45 minute boat trip to Cape Rosa on the western side of the island.

A great ride with a stop at Union Island ( actually a big rock ) which is the home to many sea birds, including the Blue Footed Booby, and sea lions. Neat place. Many large Manta Rays in the ocean on the way out.

We enjoyed a great trek through a beautiful lava flow that has eroded to many arches and tunnels through crystal clear water. Fish and Sea Turtles and a few white tipped sharks visible from above along the walk. A really amazing place. Blue Footed Booby birds up close.

It is really amazing that most of the wildlife have no fear of humans and make no attempt to leave when people are around. In or out of the water.

Following this walk we stopped at a small bay to take a snorkel adventure through the tunnels and lava formations. WOW ! Close up views of lots of small fish and very near to 2 meter white tipped sharks resting in the shallow caves.

On returning to Puerto Villamil we were met by our guide to visit Orchilla Viewpoint, on the top of a small hill, with a beautiful 360 degree view of the Island including the volcanoes, beaches and town.

From here we visited the “ Wall Of Tears”, a walled created from lava rock by prisoners in a failed prisoner relocation in about 1946. Interesting place with land turtles and many birds.

Stopped on our way back to visit the giant turtle breeding center created to try to restore the dwindling population. There are about 10 species left of the 15 that were here a 100 years ago.

Another very interesting day in an amazing place. We are enjoying great weather as the summer rains have not started yet. Late this year.



This town is only about 2000 people. Very safe and quiet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb