Moving right along


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Isabela Island
February 10th 2009
Published: February 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so it´s been a few days since I´ve had access to a computer. Here we go. We have been on Isla Isabela for a couple days. We left Puerto Arroyo after a morning of amazing surfing, despite doubts from the locals that I could carry a long board the 6k distance. It was worth it. Yesterday we hiked up to the rim of a large volcano, the crater is the 2nd largest in the world. The views were amazing. Due to one girl in the group falling in the mud repeatedly we were running behind, so we had to take horses back. So much fun!

We took a moonlight walk last night and saw turtles crawling up on the beach, I´m assuming to lay eggs. This island is far larger and more rural than the one we were just on. It´s amazing. There is a long stretch of white sandy beach surrounded by black lava rocks.

This morning we found our way to a local lagoon, which was like the secret garden. We saw a sea turtle, sea lions, more colorful fish, birds, etc. It was so quiet and still. Later on we took a boat to go snorkeling farther off the coast, and saw more of the same and then some. Penguins, blue footed boobies, rays, sharks, bigger and more colorful fish, sea cucumbers, more sea turtles, very large iguanas, and a giant angry sea lion. The smaller ones come up to you in the water and like to play. A little one came right up to Jill and gave her a kiss. I almost drowned myself laughing, almost wet the wetsuit too.

Overall, it´s so much incredible stuff it´s hard to take it all in. The experience has been great so far. I´m still sounding like a scrathed record when it comes to my Spanish, but I´m slowly easing into it. Thank god for hand gestures. Tomorrow we head back to Santa Cruz island where we hope to do some more coastal exploration and finally get to see giant tortoises. Yeeeeeeeeehawww! That´s what I have to say about life right now

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb