Santa Marta y Tyrona


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Santa Marta
January 20th 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

The advice to visit Santa Marta was much appreciated! A small tourist town with nice beaches and friendly locals. We were happy to meet Jose, our waiter, our first night when we ate at Ricky´s where we got the local scoop on places to go and things to see. Our days at Santa Marta were busy exploring the beaches, restaurants and local festivies. Although we had to adjust to the sight of soldiers on every corner with machine guns day and night, we learned to appreciate the safety and serenity of a town that protected its tourists at all times. After a week in Santa Marta, we set out to explore Tyrona National Park with our new friend Jose, equipped with our backpacks, tent, plenty of snacks, and all other necessities to challenge the jungle for a days. We received a few funny looks as others began the journey with nothing more than a fanny pack and water. We realized why after hiking four hours in the heat and humidity of the jungle with 30 pounds on our backs. It wasn't far down the path before we were passed by a train of burrows carrying packs and supplies for the wealthy...okay...lazy...an easy cop-out from where we were sweating..err..standing. I swear even the overhead monkeys were laughing at us....the hike was well worth it when the junglous mountains opened up to gorgeous beaches. This sight was only topped by the first sip of ice cold cerveza after our journey....a little piece of heaven!! We were surprised to find it such a popular destination for young people from all over latin america. The only downside to such a small, yet popular destination is that when there is only one restaurant (which requires you to prepay for your meal) they can take over 3 hours to bring it to you and there is absolutely nothing you can do. With the power shutting off at dusk, there was little to do but spread the joy of texas hold'em by candlelight, marvel at the bright stars above and listen to the crashing waves. Tyrona is a must see in Columbia.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Shane putting up tentShane putting up tent
Shane putting up tent

yes, he´s steaking it down with a rock and sticks...boys will be boys...


24th February 2007

Thank you!
That was a great recap. Thanks again! Andrew

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb