San Agustin


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » San Agustin
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We have entered the Huila region of Colombia and have spent the last few days in Pitalito and San Agustin. We ended up in Pitalito because we would have had to wait for 9 hours to take a bus to San Agustin, and arrived in Pitalito at 1 o´clock in the morning on a bus full of the most sketchy people I have ever seen. We woke a cab driver waiting at the bus terminal who was sleeping in a cab with his wife. They took us to a bright, clean, wonderful hotel in Pitalito. Our plan was to leave the next morning for San Agustin, but we woke to find a majestic little town, free of fellow gringas. We spent two days in Pitalito admiring the quaint beauty of the town and the friendly and helpful people.

We are now in San Agustin, the archaeological capital of Colombia. Yesterday we spent the day riding through the fertile mountains of Colombia with our guide Lucas. We were taken to various sites where statues were recovered, dating back to 3500 years BCE. We also explored burial tombs, visited with locals, and rode like Colombian cowboys. We stopped at one farm to try a local delicacy, fermented cane sugar.

Today we traveled to the Archaeological park and wandered around looking at more statues. I think we are statued-out for the moment, and are going to be leaving for Popayan tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb