Touring Cartagena, Columbia


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
August 16th 2012
Published: August 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

November 2009

The temperature was in the mid 90's when we arrived in Cartagena, Columbia. This was the second stop on our ten day Panama Canal cruise aboard the Princess Cruise ship, Island Princess.

Cartagena was founded in 1533. To protect the city against pirate attacks a protective wall was built around the city. Later in the 17th century the Fort of San Felipe was built. We visited both the fort and the old city within the wall on our day long guided excursion.

Our first stop was Fort of San Felipe. There is a fairly steep paved incline to reach the interior of the fort. Our guide was considerate, and made the climb slowly, oft repeating, "Little by little." On our way to the top you pass eager sellers, and must constantly shake your head no and keep walking.

The view of the city from the fort is impressive. The tour included a short, but interesting history of Cartagena and the fort. We were led through an old passageway to reach an even higher level. At this level there was a gift shop that offered snacks and trinkets. One last climb on a narrow stone stairway, sans handrail, found us at the topmost level of the fort.

After a quick descent, and a short drive, our tour continued to The Dungeons. This building contained a long series of narrow rooms that were once cells used to house slaves. Today the Dungeon's cells are a handicraft market selling everything from tacky tourist souvenirs to the more popular item: local beer. We toured one of the many shops and quickly made our way back to the air-conditioned bus.

From The Dungeons we were driven within the old walled city, and began a walking tour that took us first to the Inquisition Palace. Our guide gave us a history of the Spanish Inquisition, and how it affected the residents of Cartagena. Suffice to say it was not pleasant. A good many torture devices are on exhibit. It was a short walk to the San Pedro Claver Church which was built in the 17th century. The church is still used for services. Incredible as it may seem, Saint Pedro Claver is visible in his glass sided coffin which is located just behind the altar.

Another short walk brought us to the Navy Museum which serves as a refreshment and entertainment center for all the tour groups. We enjoyed a folk lore show while coolilng off with a cold drink.

After one last gauntlet of vendors, we boarded the tour bus and headed back to the ship. A hot, humid day in Cartagena, Columbia filled with an overwhelming barrage of history had come to an end. If you ever find yourself in Cartagena, take the city tour. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb