Cartagena


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
September 4th 2011
Published: September 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cartagena is simply stunning. I loved everything about it from the New Orleans vibe, to the hundreds of balconies, to the cobbled streets, to the vibrant, salsa dancing plazas. It is a city that is so full of energy and life, i could of happily spent months hear rather than a few days. The houses are all painted bright, vibrant colours with old wooden balconies. There were a number of huge white cathedrals that are spot lit at night and change colours every few minutes. The streets are lined with street sellers selling everything from fried balls of egg to brightly coloured knitted Columbia bags and home made lemonade. The first night we were there we went to a bar called Cafe Del Mar which overlooks the ocean and drank cocktails while we watched the sun set. It was PERFECT. The contrast between Cartagena new town and old town is so huge. The new town is filled with high rise modern buildings and looks a lot like the city in London whereas the old town could be New Or;leans quite easily with its old world latin vibe. You could really feel that you were on the Caribbean side of Columbia from the dark coffee coloured skin of the locals to the beating of the salsa music. On our second day we went to the rooftop pool of a nearby hotel and sunbathed and swam all day. We were so lucky as we basically had the whole roof to ourselves all day. The view from the roof was pretty cool, we were surrounded by the terrocotta tiles of the old town and the brightly coloured pink and orange flowers growing along vine leaves. We went for drinks in the evening at Media Y Luna which is a beautifully restored hostel in Getsami with its whitewashed brick walls and wooden doors.

We took a tour to Volcan Tutuna where you climb a rickety old wooden staircase to a small volcano filled with natural mud. The volcano centre is 2300m deep and you literally float in the mud while these men massage the mud into your skin. It was pretty amazing, if not a little odd. I had the most amazing massage from one of the masseuses and nearly fell asleep i was so relaxed. The mud is so odd though as its so thick its impossible to sink even if you wanted to you just bob up and down in the thick slimey liquid. After you have been massaged you are washed down by local women in the lagoon. Luckily i was warned before hand as the minute you get in the water the women literally strip you naked and begin washing you and your bikini. Now my friend Lisa had warned me before hand so we all sat down immediately and submerged ourselves in the water retaining some of our dignity even though we were all buck naked in a lagoon! Brilliant!lol! After our tour we had the most amazing lunch of fish overlooking the beach, it was by far one of the best fish i have had to date.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb