Cali...with three of this and that


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Cali
September 22nd 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wedding Cake ChurchWedding Cake ChurchWedding Cake Church

This church was build in the 20th century. The stark difference between it and the buildings around it make it seem very froufrou.
Cali has three museums, three big churches and according to “the book” not much else.

It does have a very nice Mall, Chichi Chape, that can be reached on foot along a busy polluted main road. There are quite a few interesting shops that offer a wide variety of interior decorating designs. This is only from observing the show windows. One shop had very appealing furniture and figurines.

A very powerful capuccino can be had at a Juan Valdez franchise. Did not buy a Juan Valdez t-shirt! Hope I don’t regret this. I have given away all the other t-shirts bought, during the last five months, along the way.

There is a zoological park in Cali. Don’t particularly like zoos and when I saw elephant and camel depicted on the brochure I opted not to go. Talking to the people that went and looking at their pictures, I may have missed something good. I still need to see an armadillo, anteater, toucan and sloth … in the wild.

With Tony and Chad ... checked out the old part of town. It was an easy walk from the Callidad House Hostel, down past the busy part of
Second ChurchSecond ChurchSecond Church

San Francisco seems to be attached to a convent.
town, over the bridge and a wander around a square grid of blocks of old structures, some in better condition than others. Every now and then a more modern building would be interspersed among the colonial look.

On Sunday the streets of Cali seem mostly populated by street people. The kiosks and shops are closed and the vagrants sit and lie in doorways, amble along the deserted banking streets and linger on street corners in the hope that the Sunday strollers will be generous.

There are quite a few families in the park beside the river. Sitting and chatting after a visit to one of the three big churches in Cali, the elders watch their young feeding and chasing pigeons. Purchasing ice cream or fruit drinks, they spend a pleasant day in the plaza hoping the rains will not dampen their Sunday outing.

As we approached the bridge a man on his knees was trying to retrieve something from beneath the cement. Looking at the evidence of bowls of water and an assortment of plates filled with dry food and seeing numerous cats lounging on the lip of the balustrade of the bridge I assumed the man
Third ChurchThird ChurchThird Church

This church contains two of the three museums in Cali
was trying to call out more cats. He was totally engrossed in his activity. I handed him some money to feed his cats. He told me there were 17 cat including some young ones.

On the way back was heard and then seen, an accident involving a motorcycle and taxi. The taxi kept going. The small baby, held in the arms of a female good Samaritan, seemed OK. The mother had a helmet on and lay flat on the road. The driver walked about but then also sat down heavily beside his downed bike. Seems that motorbikes serve as taxis. The mother and child were passengers. It took more than five minutes for the ambulance to arrive. Tony thought this was a good responses time in a city often million. There was no blood. There are many motorbkes with tiny babies clutched between driver and passenger. Saw two accidents in one day. Wonder how many I did not see.

The food is good. Cheap places can be found. Chad and I enjoyed the 'meals of the day' for a late breakfast more than once…we were only in Cali for two mornings. The meals of the day consists of
Pigeon PlazaPigeon PlazaPigeon Plaza

Children everywhere love to chase fowl pigeons.
soup ... consumme is made with giblets, including the fee. Meat, rice, salad and the inevitable frijoles (red beans)are included in the main course. Beer is extra, usuallu at 1.500 or 2.000 pesos.

This generous plate of food costs 3.000 to 4.000 pesos ( $1.50 -$2.00). In other restaurants plates of food can cost 12.000 pesos. The portions may be bigger and the atmosphere more congenial but from either place, in the end, you come out with a full stomach. Have not visited any ‘gourmet’ eating places so no comment can be made about the quality. Certainly one can assume the price will be in the 52.000 peso range. Have seen this price written on menus in Cartagena.

The stinky dogs at the hostel, the friendly hostess Betty and the town of Cali were left at 10:30 in the morning. From the local bus station via a small bus holding 16 people we travelled two hours over flat and hilly terrain. Popayan, in the district of Cacau was reached by lunchtime. The bus drove passed the hostel. he stopped when I shoutted Aqui Aqui Aqui. We alll piled out and buzzed too get into the Casa Familiar. Two
"Los Gatos""Los Gatos""Los Gatos"

This man is friendly and appreciative. The cats are contented.
more dogs...one big ...one small ...but not smelly.







Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

A River Runs ThruA River Runs Thru
A River Runs Thru

THe old town of Cali is separated from the new town by this river.
  Plaza in Brick  Plaza in Brick
Plaza in Brick

A soothing pattern. Not many people about on a Sunday.
Inside Callidad HouseInside Callidad House
Inside Callidad House

Chad is working on the one computer with no WiFi that is constantly occupied. The former private dwelling is secured by two mastifs, iron bars and glass shards on top of the walls. The beds are full. The dogs leave a trail of hair on hammock, setee and floor. It was a clean comfy place to stay and watch American Football in Spanish!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb