Zipaquira and the salt cathedral.


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
January 2nd 2010
Published: January 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Transmillenio bus.Transmillenio bus.Transmillenio bus.

Bogota's version of a subway system.
We got up early (8:30…..LOL) and headed out to tour the salt mines in Zipaquira, a small town about an hour north of Bogota. We hopped on one of Bogota’s Transmillenios buses, Bogota’s version of a subway system. These double length buses have their own dedicated lanes and are clean and efficient. Arriving at the northernmost station, we then had to grab an intercity bus for the hour long drive through the country side.

Upon arriving in Zipa, we made our way to the square where we toured a very pretty but rustic church. The tour book said that the salt mines were located southwest of the square so we took our best guess and headed into the hills. We found the mine and descended deep into the depths feeling the cool, damp slightly sulphurish air.

The original miners built an altar in the salt mine devoted to Jesus. The original mine was closed after the death of 5 miners. The government then built the existing mine and included numerous altars, a cathedral, a cafe and a 3d cinema; giving it almost an amusement park atmosphere.Surrounded by salt, Laura couldn’t help herself and when no one was looking she licked one of the columns.

We returned to our room only to find that there was a crew setting up a stereo system including a karaoke machine directly outside our room, blocking our doorway. We noticed a poster on the wall stating that there was a new years eve party that runs from 9 pm tonight to tomorrow afternoon at 3 pm……yes 3 pm. Sleep will not come easy tonight and we have to get up at 7 to catch our flight to Medellin.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Hard at work.Hard at work.
Hard at work.

They don't take Canadian money, so they put Neil to work.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb