Bogota's police museum and Montserrat


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
January 1st 2010
Published: January 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We decided to have breakfast in the hostel today. For $2 you get 2 scrambled eggs, 1 potato pancake, sweet bread and a coffee. Yes Neil actually drank ½ a coffee and enjoyed it. Their coffee is more like warm milk with a hint of coffee (surprising for a country that produces the world’s best coffee).

Neil wanted to see Bogota’s infamous police museum, the next best thing to a war museum. After asking us where we were from and searching our bags William gave us an informative tour of the museum. Largely comprised of items from Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel. The first item on display was a Harley Davidson belonging to one of Pablo’s Hench men. The gas tank, clutch cover and brake reservoir were decorated with silver and gold emblems. Pablo’s desk complete with secret compartments was on display. It’s said that Pablo killed the carpenter that built the desk so he was the only person with knowledge of the compartments and how to access them.

Next we took the cable car to the summit of Montserrate and took in the beautiful views of Bogota in spite of the warnings in the travel books about the muggings at the foot of the hill. Security must have been stepped up judging by the number of police officers each with his own very large Rottweiler. We ate grilled corn and sweet bread while walking through the strip of vendors. The trip was inspiring and breathtaking!

We spent the evening swapping travel stories with our motorcycle friends from New Brunswick while sipping Aquardiente (Colombia’s Zambucca). They are also maintaining a blog, you can find it here:

www.toquesonmoto.blogspot.com





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb