Even further south than Ushuaia..


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
January 31st 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

I just have to do this - sorry folks to pester you with anothr short message....

This morning I crossed the beagle channel in a small 8 seater inflatable dinghy thing to travel to Isla Navarino which is an island just south of Ushuaia.I no longer believe anyone who says the sea is calm, it just is not!! Travelling over were a couple on honeymoon, a Frenchman who is joining a sailing boat and a couple who run a hotel. oh and me! When we arrived at the landing stage there was a Chilean policewoman there to search our baggage for fruit etc. Of course the couple who were camping had brought food so they were going to have it confiscated, when the girl squealed 'Not the chocolate please!' at which the officer laughed and said no, they can be taken out of the mix and you can eat as much as you can before arriving at Puerto WIlliam. So we had a contraband Fest of nuts, dried fruit and a whole cheese at the slipway and in the bus ride to the main town. There is a first for everything!!

I am now sitting in a cafe overlooking the Beagle Channel and the Argentinian side of the sea, it is magnificent! I am drinking really good Colombian coffee, made by an Argentinian rugby player (do all old rugby players run such good coffee bars? I am thinking of St Girons too W2) the millefeuille tart has membrillo and dulche de leche spread over the layers and I am in heaven!! Must go and look at the museum and have a walk, to make room for dinner.

After tomorrow we have another long journey north so there will be less of this cheery blogging for a bit!

Advertisement



31st January 2011

Hi Lizzie-P Good to hear from you as always. It all sounds wonderful, as you say like looking at the school Atlas all those years ago. You are bringing it all to life. John
10th February 2011

Ushuaia
Hey you've now got further south than we did, the runway at Ushuaia airport. We've just got back from a 10 day trek in the Torres del Paine - fantastic, hard work and unbelievably photogenic. Thought BA was great, visited some of the same museums/places as you. We wish we'd been able to see more of Chile.
10th February 2011

Chile
Just returned to Puerto Natales but >I looked out for you both. Let´s meet up when I return and look at photos?

Tot: 0.333s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb