PUERTO VARAS - Chilean Lake District


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
January 31st 2010
Published: February 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We write this on our last night in Puerto Varas. It's been a relaxing few days in a pretty town. The setting is great, on a lake with snow covered volcanoes in the distance. The weather has been pleasant and sunny, although very chilly at night.

Our first day we went to Frutillar on the bus, only half an hour away. It is a small, quaint German town with lots of German architecture. Our main purpose for the visit was to go to the international classic music festival being held there. It was pot luck which show we'd get to see and it turned out to be an all male choir from Chile. They were superb and entertaining and performed at the Theatre on the Lake - a beautiful setting.

Afterwards we played on the black sand beach, had a good almuerzo at a local restaurant then headed back to Puerto Varas.

Next day the intention was to go to Volcan Osorno and hike around its base. We nearly got there, but stopped at the stunning waterfalls about 10km before Petrohue. They were very picturesque and we spent a couple of hours just exploring the short walks around
3 chicks being fed3 chicks being fed3 chicks being fed

In the roof of a shop in Frutillar - a rare sight
the falls and having a picnic. Nothing too demanding, just a meander really (which Amy was happy about).

Afterwards we paid a visit to Carolyn, an American woman we met in Panama who lives just out of Puerto Varas. We walked with her down to the lake and got some amazing views of the volcano. She joined us at the hostel later for a few drinks.

Tomorrow we're heading to Argentina to go around the argentinian lake district for a few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



1st February 2010

wow!!!
Hi Guys and 'gap tooth' Amy, What an adventure and facinating report. I have meant to catch up forages and just have not got around to it. The report and pictures are amazing - you should investigate selling them to a travel book site? Great that you are having such a fantastic adventure. Look after yourselves and see you in ??????????????? Andy I will provide a brief report on the 6 nations commencing Sat 6th Feb England Wales in Cardiff. Love to you all xx(Fee and Amy) - hi 5 for the big fella!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb