message from Isabel


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile
July 12th 2007
Published: July 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi there folks. Isabel writes, ''last night I was in my clothes, not my pjs.''

Well, we are here in El Melon aka Nogales at last. Arrived last night. Slept in our clothes, coats and all...shells and fleeces. Got up..had breakfast but there is no hot water in the little casita where we are staying. Right now we are in La Calera (town where I worked...not a very pretty place). Our first order of business here was to buy hats and gloves for the kids. I remember how when we were in the Peace Corps I appreciated what was meant by a ''night cap'' (I remember the picture of the night-capped parents in the Night Before Christmas storybook we have). It is still like this here. Without a cap, it is pretty darned cold. About 30-40 during the day, below 0 at night. Did I say a few days ago that I would rather by cold than hot. Hmmm.... Have to admit about an hour ago, I said to John ''What in the heck were we thinking?'' Since then I have had a cup of instant coffee and now feel more hopeful. We´ll be fine but despite the European-like feel of Santiago, this town feels very much like the third world...crazy saying that while sending this message. By the way, please feel free to delete if these messages elicit boredom. More than anything, this blog has been a great goal activity for Max and Isabel. It helps them collect and record their thoughts.

Our Chilean friends simply love John. They have been wonderful with us. That is about it for now.

Here are a few Isabel observations:

Mom, why do all those men keep kissing you? (everyone gives the salutation cheek kiss...Isabel is quite bothered by this).

(upon entering Chile) Thank goodness. I just saw a my first red sign (referring to a stop sign...she was overwhelmed by the crazy, uncontrolled Cuzco driving).



Advertisement



12th July 2007

Isabel, You intrepid traveller, you. Hopefully you will remember some highlights of this trip when you are older and can entertain your own children with tales of what you did when you were only six! I am very impressed with you. We love reading of your adventures. Henry is at camp for two nights with Mark. Noah has a friend over and is absorbed in one of the many lego sets he got for his birthday. Have you ever stepped on a lego piece? Owwwwww! That's happening a lot in our house right now. Stay warm.....
13th July 2007

Keep it up
We are thoroughly enjoying the news from down under. Winter...imagine that! Guess it's not such a small world after all, Walt. Eager to hear of any bird sightings. Ichiro's signing with the Mariners seems to be imminent. Whoopeeee! Love, Auntie

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb