XMAS


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Valparaíso Region » Viña del Mar
December 26th 2005
Published: December 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wed. 21st.
After a good scout round the city, the jury is still out on Mendoza - surely, we can't be going off Argentina.

Thurs.
All set to go to Parque San Matin on the trolley bus, when the hotel receptionist panicked about taking valuables with us. She even insisted we leave the camera behind, so therefore I'm convinced we're going to get murdered at the very least. Consequently we missed the chance of some fabulous photos. The place was as safe as houses, thank goodness. The park is reportedly the largest in the Americas, and is well worth a visit. The tourist bus cost one pound for an hour's trip, and it doesn't even scratch the surface. The highlight for us was the Liberty Statue on Glory Hill. The most striking monument we have ever seen, with friezes depicting the battles of independence surrounding the main statue which is over 40 feet tall. Even the ugly mobile mast at the side of it was made special by having 4 Condors perched on the top.
When the tour guide pointed out a footfall stadium, he got very animated about Maradona. It was only later on BBC World, which is rubbish by the way, that we found out Maradona had caused a rumpus in Rio, and had been arrested. A good day, made even better.
My meal tonight was a fillet steak, about 5ins. dia. by about 3 ins. thick, that could have been cut with a butter knife. Jim opted for pepper steak which was huge, and a row broke out as to which tasted the better. We couldn't decide, so we'll have to return after Xmas for a retrial.

Fri.
On the 8.45 taxi ride to the bus terminal we saw almost empty shoe shops. Normally, they are full to the gills, and people 3 deep at the windows. Sarah must have some latin blood in her, Mark. The bus is 3/4 hour late departing, so we watch tons of people arriving home for Xmas, and being greeted by friends and family... no comment. Finally off we go, and the Andes are still waiting for us, spectacular as ever.
A 2 hour delay at customs because something or someone was suspect on our bus. The drug dogs had a field day. The road to the border on the Argentine side was a well thought out route through tunnels etc. Not so in Chile. They have chiselled hairpin bends into the side of the mountain that are really scary.
Arriving in Vina del Mar is comforting, nice to recognize a place.

Sat.
We take a taxi from our mundane hotel to our Xmas present. Cap Ducal was the first hotel in Vina del Mar and it's spectacular. It's built on top of a rocky outcrop in the shape of a ship, with waves crashing all around it. We have been upgraded to a room with a balcony, with beautiful views of the resort, and even better, a jacuzzi in the bathroom. Sitting on the balcony, the noise of the sea is awesome and we have seagulls, ducks and pelicans flying by. As different from Xmas at home as we could get, which is what we wanted.

Sun.
While we were having breakfast, we looked down into the sea, and there was a seal doing the same ... amazing. Killed time on the beach until our call from England was due, and then spent a good hour talking to the family. Miss them more than ever now!
Candle lit dinner in our fantasy hotel, and then upstairs, to watch the waves crashing onto the beach. It was well after midnight when one idiot decided to do hand stands in the surf. Let's hope he died happy from hypothermia.

Mon.
Our bus back to Mendoza leaves at 11.00 p. m. The room is ours as long as we want, so we'll make the most of the balcony, knowing that we will never ever stay in a place like this again. Six feet away from us are 3 pelicans, perched on the next balcony, preening themselves, not bothered at all about the camera ... Magic!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb