Quirky Valparaiso and Majorca Vina Del Mar


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After many recommendations we headed to Valparaiso just north of Santiago...and were rather shocked when we arrived to find what seemed like another has been city, more like the port of Middlesbrough that an exclusive Chilean holiday destination!! Granted there was some cool Bohemian grafitti around town and some cool old buildings but not so much that I would shout about!

So getting there on a Saturday, we thought it would be heaving but the centre of town seemed to be dead, only full of dogs, not a lot else, I seriously think it must be dog capital here / they even chill out on the benches on the streets!! Since there wasnt toio much else to do we decided to have a relaxing afternoon beer, which turned into lots and ended in an all day session and a great dirty piece of cake before bed mmm!! We didnt really find any pub 'pubs' in town but did hit some amusing joints...the first one had nothing that we asked for on the menu, not even pizza, the second we filled our faces, the third we got talking to some locals, knocked back some wine and pisco sour, the third we went into for comedy vlue as it was a real mans pub, we handed oursweets around and got some butter in return?!?!? Then rocked on home, box of vino and cakes in hand and rolled in to bed at some early hour -as in early eve as we were so drunk!! Back to our exclusive hostel that is - which was more like somewhere your great aunt would be running as a run down b n b in bridlington!!

We thought we should give the city more of a chance so we decided to go on our own city walk tour on some locals recommendations and ended up turning back on the first section since the streets were so dodgy!! They were tiny streets up the hills full of crap and pee, where you would kind of imagine the plague to have started...okay, well not that bad but not that good either, was great to see thoughbut wold have been much happier to do without a camera and moey one me!! We ended up walking for hours and saw some cool run down buildings and colours of the city but not enough to keep us there so we headed down to Vina Del Mar in the hope that it might improve our views of the coast more than that of Teeside!!....


Vina Del Mar to follow

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb