Valparaiso y Vina del Mar


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Recovering from the vineyards of Mendoza, we passed back over the andes and welcomed the relaxed beach town feel of Valparaiso and its neighboring town, Vina del Mar. atop the steep hillsides perched colorful houses and the winding sidewalks were fun to stroll around... we found ourselves laughing at the local traffic jams made up of horseback riders weaving their way through the cars and dogs (of which there are roughly 7000 strays in the city). valparaiso and it's neighboring coastal towns have a long and winding coastline that reminds one of cruising along the pacific coast highway in california....the cliffs dotted with amazing mansions and shacks alike. benefitting from a barista's public transit knowledge, we visited little Vina del Mar, a much newer city it appeared with it's condos rising up in every direction. it's well planned out beach waterfront was lined with a boardwalk welcoming visitors to stroll the vender booths offering everything from peruvian hats to water bongs (a seemingly difficult contraption just to smoke some tobacco i thought). a memorable encounter was that with a pair of attractive gypsies peddling their "magic rocks" to bless our money for good fortune. a fine scheme wasted on the worldly travelers we are...it was mostly comprised of them getting our money in their grubby hands to tap and blow on with pebbles and with some quick hands confusing it with other bill notes already possessed by them. in the end, the trick was fruitless and we escaped with money and a good memory.
the hostel we stayed in was a converted old home in the hills overlooking valparaiso and was tended by a friendly staff and stinkin' cute cocker spaniel. color filled walls, comfy furniture, great eclectic music and a warm family feel made it a perfect place to relax at days end and trade stories with fellow world trekkers. (a shout out to adrien lopez..good luck in your international position with the chilean government!!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



10th April 2007

You guys look great!!
I miss you two so much and so enjoy your blogs with such colorful and wonderful pictures. Shane, you still make my heart melt. (smile) Watch out now!(smile) It does my heart good to see you two having an adventure of a lifetime! I am very very proud of you both. Continue to love and trust each other and above all else, Keep God close!! Until the next blog, Love ya!!
10th April 2007

Chile
I love that you guys post more pix now :) What a cute town!
13th April 2007

bonita
i don't know what is more beautiful, you guys or your surrounding!! i love and miss you both!!
17th April 2007

Hola mis amigos!
Voy a escribirles en español para que lo practiquen, tenía muchos días que no les escribía, en un mensaje les explico. Genial se ven todas las fotografías que envían, Shane se ve como más gordo, o son ideas mías. Se nota que la estan disfrutando mucho y esa era la idea. Y más cuando pudieron estar en uno de los palacios del vino mundial, como lo es Chile....Cuantas botellas se tomaron?. No importa cuantas cierto, como decían ustedes, no tienen prisa, ni problemas....siganla gozando.....besos y abrazos...José Alfredo de COLOMBIA.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb