Iquique


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Tarapacá » Iquique
December 29th 2007
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Danny in Uyuni we (Craig and Jake) set off back to San Pedro de Atacama. Although we spent three days on the road on the way out the return journey would take us less than one day. We took a more direct route back too and after a brief stop over (arrived at 8, up at 3.30am!) in the middle of nowhere, we headed for the border and back into Chile. Despite the little time we spent at our stopover we still had time to talk to a French couple, one of whom had literally run away to join the circus! We planned to get a bus that evening to Iquique, but had to settle for a shorter trip to nearby Calama and a connection the next morning.

Despite being the centre of a lot of bus connections, Calama was not easy to find accomodation in. We arrived with only an address but to our releif, they took us in! Calama was a very busy place when we arrived as people were dashing about buying last minute presents and attending one of the many celebrations going on around the town square. We were exhausted after all the travelling, so rather than join in the festivities we decided that a trip to the hairdressers and some food was all we could manage before bed, ready for our six hour bus journey at seven the next morning.

Arriving in Iquique we got to our hostel, where the one member of staff who seemed never to leave didn´t speak a word of English, and although we explained many times we know little spanish she continually spoke at length to us. After a day exploring the local area and tracking down the beach we decided a night at the casino was in order. Hoping for a game of traditional poker, we were disappointed but also intrigued by the game on offer. We set our limits and left only a few quid down each.

Xmas eve was spent on the beach where, we have to be honest, it was probably a bit too hot!! That evening we headed out to a club we had been told by several locals was the place to be. It opened at 2am and closed at 5am but we still managed to fit in several refreshing drinks and threw some shapes with the locals to the usual South American music which we have now grown used to, but will not miss! The club was somewhat dated and was reminicent of 90's Britain...dodgy music...dodgy clothes and glowstick glasses!! (See the photos)

Christmas day was a day spent in bed, imagining what everyone back home would be eating while we sat with our pasta and sauce watching films in our room. Speaking to our families via the excellent Skype was the highlight of the day for us both and cheered us up as we lay nursing our hangovers. After such a hard day we settled down in preperatoin for the next days activities. A short, final trip to the beach and then the taxi ride to the bus station where a 26 hour ride awaited as we headed off for Santiago!

All in all...Iqueque was a strange city to spend christmas...but a pleasant one none the less!

There are only a few photos as the camera was playing up a couple of the days...apologies!

Love JC


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb