The Backpacking Begins


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
June 14th 2014
Published: June 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Santiago had an odd feeling to it as we took our first steps on unfamilar streets. Warnings of danger made us extremely apprehensive as it became apparent how gringo we looked. Hostile glances from local workmen made us even more wary ... however it then dawned on us that anyone working early on a miserable Wednesday morning wouldn´t be over the moon to see fresh vacationers strutting about (one in shorts too). Our first impression quickly changed as we experienced just how friendly the Chileans are.

We began in true socilalite style and drank with the fellow hostellers the first night and experienced a gringo night in the city... not quite the cultural blast we wanted but not a bad start! The following morning began groggily, but after suitable rest we headed to a bar for the first game of the World Cup. Burritos, beer, football with the hostel gang. TR again ended up in the city and reported in the morning of his close call with a local ´gangster´. By close call we mean that they exchanged a few friendly words before TR was warned who he was ... phew !?

Third day and Chile delivered ... or rather we decided to look! We headed into the City with fellow hosteller Cassie who thankfully guided us through the metro system. We arrived for a glorious and informative walking tour... but we arrived too late. So we proceded on our own and were very impressed with the city. Chile is described as the most developed of the SA countries and it certainly seemed to be doing alright! This was only the beginning though...

The City began to spark as it approached late afternoon and closer to the kick off of Chile's first game against Australia. Horns, hoots and flags started flying and to embrace the local spirit we each purchased a replica Chile top... instantly we became the most popular gringos in town. Bus drivers tooted and waved, locals high-fived us in the street and chicas all wanted a photo with the gringo boys. We began the ascent of Serro San Cristobál, a huge hill promising the best views of the city. It delivered. The climb was steep but well worth the breathtaking scenery around us. Santigo is enclosed by the towering Andes, and the recent rain meant the smog had disbanded. As we arrived at the peak we knew our true backpacking had begun.

After our trek the bottom of the hill returned us to the euphoric excitement of the Chileans and kick-off. A bouncing bar full of Chileans, a few of us gringos and a small group of Australians enjoyed an exciting game and the night flew by as we exchanged banter, put on our best Spanglish and chatted to the locals and then followed on to an Asado at the hostel - providing some of the best steak we have ever had. We were going to enjoy South America. One more night out including some salsa lessons from some local chicas ended our tour of Santiago... we could have definitely stayed longer but wanted to explore some more of Chile, and also avoid the backlog of travellers trying to leave Santiago due to the Andes being closed because of rain (or rather, snow).

We are bound to Valparaiso, a coastal town about 2 hours away. Vamos!

LC


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb