Santiag-sl-o


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
February 18th 2007
Published: February 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tiny CarTiny CarTiny Car

Continuing our long standing theme of tiny vehicles, check out this little Fiat!
Much as we like the Casa Roja where we are staying, we haven't been sleeping too well because of the constant noise of people walking around upstairs or using the ladies bathroom right next to our room. On consecutive nights we've been woken up at 5 o'clock in the morning by a group of Brits detailing every moment of their conquests that night, or at 2am by a couple of Spanish girls practising a 2-part harmony for some bizarre reason. Needless to say we've been getting a bit ratty. Not even earplugs can fully drown it all out as the noise just seems to echo and bounce of the walls of this massive old house. Hmmm.

As a result of all the insomnia, we didn't actually wake up until gone 11am this morning meaning that by the time we were ready to go out, we didn't have much time to make use of the free entry to museums that Santiago offers its visitors every Sunday. We decided to head straight for the Pre-columbian art museum but had difficulty finding it and arrived with only 45 minutes to look around before it closed at 2pm. We were pretty peeved with the
A Bridge Too FarA Bridge Too FarA Bridge Too Far

It's not a stage, Glynn!
way our day had begun so neither of us was really in the mood to take in the displays of artefacts from across the continent. In fact we left just 10 minutes later and just spent the afternoon wandering around the city centre again instead.

There was a craft market lining one of the main streets today and we found loads of interesting things tempting us to part with our money. Ultimately the only things we couldn't resist were a couple of woolly finger puppets knitted to look like Batman and Superman for 500 pesos (about 50p in total). There was also a handful of stalls selling antiques as well as second hand books although they were of no use to us as they were all in Spanish!

Making our way back to the hostel, we crossed a bridge over the motorway where we saw a girl sobbing her heart out. She had the look of someone who has just been dumped by their boyfriend and hadn't seen it coming so when she made to duck under the railings of the bridge, we were both concerned that she was about to do something really stupid like jump. Thankfully
Market DayMarket DayMarket Day

Wanna buy some maracas?
she just collapsed in a tearful heap on the ground instead. We started to walk by but something made me stop and go back over to her, even though I knew I wouldn't be able to communicate with her properly. I kind of felt like she needed to know someone cared and that not all people are crap so I crouched down beside her, asked if she was ok and left her with a smile that hopefully told her that she's not alone in the world. I guess it doesn't matter where you are in the world - heartache and heartbreak will always be somewhere among us...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

City SculptureCity Sculpture
City Sculpture

Which came first, khe kiddie in the middle of the statue or our friendly neighbourhood Glynn?
Political GraffitiPolitical Graffiti
Political Graffiti

There's graffiti everywhere in Santiago though one of my favourites so far is the Mickey Mouse-ified George Bush.
Cake-o-dileCake-o-dile
Cake-o-dile

We couldn't resist a snap (geddit?) of this crocodile shaped cake in the local supermarket.


23rd February 2007

cake
i hope you bought one off the cakes yum yum i bet you snapped one up hope you afe getting some better sleep now love mom and dad
28th February 2007

Mickey-Mouse-George
hey you both worldtravellers! was nice talking to you last saturday! now you seem to be on the easter islands - it must be georgeous there as I've seen in some tv travel mags. Hope the voodoo there won't do you any harm!? Please send a postcard from over there...no person I know has ever been there...wow!! stupid bush is brilliant as a mickey mouse who cannot really speak - he should have been born as one so he could not have started so many wars and bad things...go get him and bite him - mickey!!! :-) miss you both a lot ! take care and enjoy your further travel - don't let the southamerican voodoo-magic come over you ;-) liebe gruesse aus dem wenig winterlichen muenchen, eure esther!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb