Photos at Last


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Magallanes » Torres del Paine
December 15th 2007
Published: December 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Patagonia - Day 14

route - TO - Miami - Buenos Aires - El Calafate - El Chalten - Glaciers National Park - El Calafate - Puerto Natales, Chile

So, let´s see if we can get the photos working ...

OK, they are!!

Right now, I´m now in Chile!! Beautiful sunny day, and no wind! The border crossing was pretty good, although it took a while. Surprisingly, the Chilean border police looked inside all of our bags. Not for drugs, which I´d expect, but fruits and vegetables. They are very protective of their native fruits and vegetables. And meat.

It took a while to go through 46 backpacks, suitcases and assorted boxes, as you can imagine.

Puerto Natales is a lovely little town. I´ve got a few days to burn here before I go on my next trek into Torres del Paine (pronounced ¨Piney¨) and hopefully I can squeeze a short trek in before the long one (seven days of walking around the back end of Paine).

So, the pics are basically from the first trek around Fitz Roy. Good views of the mountain, the wind at the moraine as we tried to get to Cerro Torre, and then the glacier walk in the rain at the foot of Cerro Torre. Oh, and snow. And then a last picture of C. Torre as we leave the National Park. Of course it cleared up as we were leaving!!

Gotta run for now. Seems that the Chilean internet connection is way faster, so I should be able to get more pics on the blog quicker. I´ll backtrack a little and try to get the ones I promised last week up.

Take care for now! Hope the snow´s not too deep in Ottawa, Kingston and TO. Heh, heh.

Mike


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Foot of FitzRoyFoot of FitzRoy
Foot of FitzRoy

With the dirty lake below it ... (Laguna Secussi - I think ...)
Windy dayWindy day
Windy day

The guy closest to the camera is our guide! Even he doesn´t like it ...
Posed Windy DayPosed Windy Day
Posed Windy Day

Until he sees a camera is in action ...
Tyrolean TraverseTyrolean Traverse
Tyrolean Traverse

The Tyrolean traverse over the Fitz Roy river on the way to the glacier. That´s Joshua, from Sao Paulo, Brazil ...
Cool Glacier DudeCool Glacier Dude
Cool Glacier Dude

So cold, so very, very cold ...
Cerro Torre (Torre Peak)Cerro Torre (Torre Peak)
Cerro Torre (Torre Peak)

Our only view of Torre - the rest of the time is was clouded in ...


15th December 2007

Cool
Mike - cool photos, brings back memories. Are you staying in refuigios? or camping?
17th December 2007

more pics!
hey - looks like banff! word of advice - don't take drugs or fruit from strangers ;-p m

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb