Rain, Rapids and Ghosts and Goblins


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Puerto Montt
November 1st 2007
Published: November 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chile is a country that surprises me at every bend in the road. Yesterday we headed out from Punta Varas in the south of the country to try and get a glimpse of the volcano Oronco ( sp?). It usually is shrouded in clouds with rain threatening at all times. But luck was with us and we started to see the sun shining off the glacier which coats the top of this perfectly shaped volcanic cone like meringue swirled a mile high. It only got better and better as we rode up and up and up the gravel switch back road that was reminiscent of the climb to Machu Picchu. More luck was in store as we were told that the ski lift was running and we could take it half way up the volcano. We gingerly made our way on and off a chair lift and stomped in mushy snow as flakes coated our hair.

It was clear to me from the temperature and level of wind that I would be needing a warmer head covering than the knitted hat I had bought that morning for our upcoming boat trip around the fjords.

Heading home on this glorious and rare sunny day we rode along side a river full of white rapids with water the soft green color of an empty coke bottle or a piece of well washed sea glass. Picture yourself standing on a small bridge, with the rapids rushing all around you splashing up foamy white lacy trails like a can-can dancer swirling her many petticoats. Then in the background the full majesty of the volcano standing out against a sky the color of Paul Newman's eyes. It doesn't get much better than that.
Oh, but wait, our day wasn't over. Earlier in our guides had proposed that we deliver candy to some poorer neighborhoods as 'Trick or Treating' was just catching on here in Chile. We all chipped in $3 to rent a bus and buy candy. They rented witch costumes and we headed out to find kids. All we needed to do was stop the bus near a playground and the kids found us. We had great fun watching their amazed eyes as 20, um, older visitors from the USA, disembarked bearing bags of sweets. The parents just smiled and smiled while the kids dressed as angels, princesses, Spiderman, Draculam Raggedy Ann, and batman, ghosts and witches hooted and jumped with joy.
A great day with more to come.

Tommorrow we head for Torres Del Paine National Park and then we do a 5 day boat cruise thought the fjords and southern ice fields. I will be completely out of touch but will write when I return.

I waited 23 years to come to Chile and wish I had come sooner so I could return again and again.
Carolyn (Gunga)



Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb