Levantemos Chile!!!


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Biobío » Talcahuano
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

TalcahuanoTalcahuanoTalcahuano

Welcome to the beautiful town of Talcahuano...
A few weekends ago, I went to help build houses in the south that were destroyed in the tsunami after the earthquake. Building in Talcahuano was one of the most amazing experiences I have been a part of since I moved here.

I got into a bus with 80 other students, about 65 Chileans and 15 extranjeros. It was organized by three students for the engineering faculty of my university; they did the fund raising, organized where we stayed and ate, transportation, the families we were going to help, and got a hold of all of the materials.

We slept on the floor of an elementary school and about 5 women from town cooked the dinners for us with the supplies and ingredients that we brought. The "cueca club" (the national dance) came to the school and performed for us one night.

It has been extremely popular to build "medioaguas", emergency housing in order to get people a roof to sleep under before the winter hits. They take about a day to build and are usable for up to 5 years. The homes that we built were permanent homes that took about 3 days to build (without doors
Our siteOur siteOur site

This is our construction site, the home on the right was where the family lived before the tsunami.
or windows). We built 10 over the 3 day weekend and finished almost every one.

We arrived in two buses on Friday morning at around 7, slept for 2 hours and got to work at 9am. Each day we worked about 10-12 hours; by the end of each day we were all exhausted. The 80 of us split into groups of about 6 people and focused on our individual house; my group was building a home for a woman, her daughter and three grandchildren that were going to live there.

10 people had died on their block alone. The tsunami had a bigger effect on this town than the actual earthquake- Talcahuano is a port where everyone survives working in the fisheries.

Our group had quite a few obstacles to overcome (besides the small detail that all 80 of us were students that had no idea how to build a house); the plans for our construction site had not arrived when we did, other materials came extremely late, etc. But by Sunday night, we had completed the roof!!! My group was amazing, super motivated and a lot of fun.

It was really awesome to see everyone
TsunamiTsunamiTsunami

See the water stain half way up the wall? Crazy.
come together and lift up a town the way we did.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 005Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 005
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 005

We built their new home behind their old one. The family did not have to pay a penny.
Cafe!Cafe!
Cafe!

Each day, the family brought us coffee, fruit, homemade sopaipillas or completos (hotdogs). They were extremely grateful for our help.
Lets start!!Lets start!!
Lets start!!

We cleared the land and started digging holes and pouring cement. To prevent problems if there was another tsunami, we build the house on stilts.
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 009Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 009
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 009

By the end of my first hole, the boys were passing me their shovels. Apparently, digging all of that irrigation when we were little was good for something- thanks dad!
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 011Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 011
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 011

Did I say that all of my group was awesome and motivated...? Alberto was the exception.
WallsWalls
Walls

We built the walls on the ground then lifted them up after we finished the floor.
GirlsGirls
Girls

Part of our group and some that we adopted from the group next door.
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 021Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 021
Talcahuano.Chile.Construccion 021

I want to go down south and do this again before I leave! It was amazinggg!
Cueca!!Cueca!!
Cueca!!

The formal cueca show was so much fun.
CuecaCueca
Cueca

One of the men in the cueca club, Pato, had worked with us on the house that day. He made me get up (in front of about 90 people) and dance with him. I think my face was bright red for the rest of the trip!
El techo!El techo!
El techo!

Finally, we started working on the roof. We finished at about 8pm on Sunday night before loading into the bus.
El sitioEl sitio
El sitio

Our work site!


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.046s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb