Chilling in the Desert - San Pedro de Atacama


Advertisement
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a fun but cold time in Uyuni we decided to head across back into Chile. The journey is not that far but again on terrible roads!

We left Uyuni in the middle of the night and I don't think I have ever been so cold! The bus made good time to the border but that was when things slowed down to a walk/crawl.

We were kept there for over 4 hours. During that time we had our bags searched, people were turned back to Bolivia and a dog wee'd on an american girls leg whilst we were waiting! Once through we thought we'd get on our way to Calama and then San Pedro - no such luck. The bus decided firstly to stop for lunch, then we had a flat tyre, then the fan belt went! A 6-8 hour journey took 16 and we had to spend the night in Calama aswell!!!

Eventually we made it to San Pedro de Atacama. Once a sleepy desert town, now a very touristy desert town. We found a good hostel and spent the next few days relaxing there. The weather during the day was nice and warm but at night it was freezing.

One day was spent cycling to the Valley of the Moon. Old rock formations, salt deposits and very strange landscapes! All with the backdrop of a huge volcanoe one way and in the other direction another salt pan!

We met some hilarious Belgian cyclists who started at the bottom of Chile and had biked all the way up. Both were very funny and had some great stories to tell.

Evenings were spent in some really nice restaurants sampling local and international food. We even bought a cd from a pan pipe band - but will probably never listen to it!

Off next to Argentina but through a different border, if we make it to Salt on time the plan is to get to Cordoba in one hit - about 30+ hours! We must be mad!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Valle de la LunaValle de la Luna
Valle de la Luna

Out of this world!


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb