Twin Peaks!


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
June 27th 2012
Published: June 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Twin Peaks- Corcovado and Pao de Acucar Our busy day starts with an early rise( we are 4 hours behind the UK and a bit jet lagged) Breakfast is a great find, we enjoy Suco( fresh fruit juice) and breaded potato croquettes filled with cod and chicken. Then we hit the Copacobana beach looking for the Brazillian beauties. Too Early?????The beach had enormous waves and fantastic views of Sugar Loaf Mountain. It is already buzzing with joggers and walkers. Then it's taxi to Corcovado where we opt to do the ascent by car rather than by cog train. This way we get to stop at a viewing station half way and enjoy a commentary from our driver, an employee of Tuijuca National Park. He slams the car to a halt when he spots MONKEYS! What views of Rio from the top! And We finally meet our maker Cristo Redentor-37 m tall and 38m hand to hand. Down below we can spot the Jockey Club, Maracana Stadium, the back end of Rocinha( favela), Sugar loaf, the downtown Airport with a very short runway, an oil rig in the sea.... Wow! Then across Rio we taxi to Sugar Loaf where we ride by cable car by two stages to the summit where we get to see panoramic views of Rio again, from a different angle. Look- its the Big Yin again! But what about the Spain / Portugal Game pipes up Graeme? Taxi back to Copacobana to sit on the terrace of a bar and enjoy the match. ( also to stare through curiosity at the ladies of the night who seem to operate from this bar- good choice of family bar Mr Taxi Driver! The boys are receiving a good education from the school of life this holiday!)At Copacobana beach it is now dark but it is now full of men, women and boys playing football or volley ball. We sit for a while to watch a team of 12 year old boys doing their training.Another "meal by the kilo"at Aip and Aipim and a wander home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb