FLORIANAPOLIS


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil
May 30th 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We flew to the coast of Southern Brazil to see what all the fuss was about Florianapolis. It’s a very popular destination with travellers in Brazil, so we thought it must be worth seeing.


We were there in the low season (Winter), and stayed in the city rather than on one of the beaches as many of the Pousadas are closed at that time of year. The city is very pleasant, with a small area around the market retaining the old and colourful Portuguese buildings. There is a lovely Plaza filled with ancient strangler figs trees and overlooked by an attractive church and museum.


We took an organised tour around the island, taking in the more popular spots in the north and south of the island. The tide was up and the surf high so there was very little left of the beaches. With some imagination we could see how beautiful they would be in the warmer, calmer months.


On one beach the waves were battering some beachfront restaurants and had pulled one almost entirely into the sea. The weather was perfect for us, 20C and sunny. Amy put her cozzie on and braved the sea, but I only got to my ankles and that was too cold. We ate pasteis on the beach and soaked up the sun.


The tour also drove us around the “rich & famous” area of Jurere, with its big mansions and soulless streets. Then, a brief stop at Sao Jose Fort, where there was time for a quick wander around.


Another day we went to Lagoa da Conceciao and took the public ferry from one end of the lake to the other. It took about 1 hour to do the length, then we got off and walked back some of the way before stopping at a lakeside restaurant. It was a pleasant day out.


The next day we took the local bus out to Ribeirao da Ilha, overlooking the tidal flats where they breed oysters. We got a table at Ostradamus, perhaps the most famous restaurant in the area, and had wonderful oysters followed by grilled flounder with hazelnuts. The food was divine (and of course a bit of a splurge but it had to be done). A good way to finish our few enjoyable days in Florianapolis.






Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1mb