Escape from JFK


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo
February 17th 2007
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SP (central feb. 17, 2007)SP (central feb. 17, 2007)SP (central feb. 17, 2007)

After a snow storm on the east coast, this is the first morning I woke up to in Sao Paulo...thank God!
Hey guys,

Well here I am again, writing from Brazil. I spent last night out with friends drinking non-pasteurized beer and eating table grilled steak with Japanese mushrooms (picanha e shitake) in Vila Magdalena, the artistic neighborhood of SP. We all had a great time and I was welcomed by the sun and 80 degrees this morning as I woke up. (See photo of central park, Parque Iberapuera, I took this morning). Today, I will be off to Rio and will be picked up from the airport. I have no idea what we are going to be doing, but it's Rio during Carnaval. There is always something happening in the streets.

Getting here, however, was not as easy as I expected. I took off in the middle of a snow storm in DC and arrived into a even larger storm in JFK. After waiting on the runway 4hrs. for a gate, we finally we released from the plane into an airport full of people sleeping on top of, under, and inside of anything that looked slightly confortable. I quickly told that my flight to SP was cancelled and I would need to sleep in the airport cause Delta was not in the business of customer service since they declared bankrupcy. It must be tough as an airline that is still paying hefty pensions and based in a country will a failed, and exceedingly expensive, medical profit system.

But I had no idea that I was in the company of the best group of people to be stranded with in the airport. We basicaly turned gate 14 into a slumber party! The next morning I paid my $25 and spent the rest of the in the executive lounge downing all the food and drink, non-alcol, that I could get my hands on while talking to other stranded passengers from Ghana, to Turkey to East Timor. It was gratifying as well as fun, because I was able to help out a lot of people who didn't know how things work in the States. So many of them were relying on a begrudginly helpful Delta to find lodging for them. I was able to find them cheap hotels and basic tourist information for their unexpected trip to NYC faster than Delta and with a smile. The only thing they had to pay was a few minutes of conversation that of course included their opinion on the current political status of their country..hahah

Finally, I made it out of JFK on Thursday night at 2AM and landed in a sunny SP Friday at about 1PM. After a few errands I needed to do in the city, and which my taxi driver so graciously help me with, I met a very good friend for lunch, which turned into a 6 hour conversation taking us all over the city. Finally, she dropped me off at another friend's apartment where I slept for an hour before heading out for beer and steak!

As you can see, I slept well last night, its 2PM here. But man after my entire adventure just to get here, I needed it.

Love to all and I will continue to take photos (incl. ones that have me in them...)

Mike

(Please excuse the typos...compliments to MBW)


Advertisement



17th February 2007

Have fun in Rio man. I see that South America is treating you well. Greetings from a rainy London (No, it does not rain all the time).
18th February 2007

snif
well,..there you are,...and...I am here in the snow !!!! I wanna go with you!!! its kind of funny...I`m brazilin an I`m here and you are american and you are there!!! how it can happen?????????????? kisses have fun!!! ligia
17th March 2007

Where are you when I need you?
Mike, Ironically enough, I am reading your first blog about being stranded in the airport while I myself am stranded in an airport. I'm in Chicago, trying to get to Detroit, and out of luck. And NO MIKE BYRNE in the lounge to offer service with a smie. If you were here, I would definitely give you my opinion of the political situation in my country, mon! My only solace is that, in real time, you are not in Brazil today but back in DC where it's snowing! Ha! Ha, ha, ha! Your long-suffering buddy, Michael W.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb