SAO PAULO


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » São Paulo » São Paulo
November 18th 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a not so painful, 6 hour bus journey and a straight forward subway ride we arrived at our hostel GOL. Grabbing an early night, with sheets as football flags!, we hit the hay in anticipation of checking out Brazils biggest city the following day.

The next day we set out in the baking34 degree heat and got our wondering boots on. Sao Paulo is a vast metropolis with skyscrapers reaching to the clouds, whilst small bar and restaurants hug the small streets below. The city reminded me a lot of Bangkok in Thailand in layout and sweltering city temperature.
We ampled through the streets, viditing a food market and eating Japanese fried delights, ice creams and drinking Grape Fanta (amazing), stopping to check out a street performance of two 50 something gentlemen, freestyling at each other to the beat of a tambourine. That all changed once our white faces where noticed and the subject matter focused on us. Much the amusement of the crowd!
Previous to the trip I’d read Sao Paulo boosted some of the best nightclubs in the world, so we were keen to check them out. Unfortunately finding out what was on and where proved to be a difficult task. Luckily after making conversation with a Brazilian in our dorm we were invited to tag along with them has they headed out to a night club.

Well, the night turned out be an experience more than anything and was more in keeping with Canal Street than Fabric, as we were hoping. Never the less, an amusing time was had and some new friends made.
The following day, we checked out Liberdade the cities Japanese quarter, unbeknown to us Sao Paulo has the biggest population of Japanese people outside of Japan and the food did not disappoint, neither did the Sushi or the famous cake shop hidden within it’s streets.

That evening we spent the night getting to know our new found friends (Iuri, Lucas 1 & Lucas 2 – It was a pleasure to meet you all!) learning about the Brazilian’s seemingly adoring love of beer and European architecture. Good times were had.

On our final day before leaving we decided to go out on a limb and search for a hotel I had read about in a blog somewhere which had amazing views of the city. A bus ride later we arrived
Japanese Cake ShopJapanese Cake ShopJapanese Cake Shop

A Very Happy Sam
at Hotel Unique, managed to get past the doorman with our plastic bag and sunburnt faces and up to the top floor.
If you ever make it to Sao Paulo, a visit to this bar is a must. Although the clientele where highly snobby and the drinks over priced, to south American standards, the views where truly amazing and the barmen were welcoming.

After our Stellas (finally sum decent beer!!) we headed to the coach station to board our 16 hour bus to Foz De Iguacu………..16 hour bus = Very Not Cool.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Skye Bar ViewSkye Bar View
Skye Bar View

Check the pool!
The Hotel UniqueThe Hotel Unique
The Hotel Unique

Definatley a unqiue design
Hot Hot HotHot Hot Hot
Hot Hot Hot

Sorry to rub it in, it's beautiful tho!


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb