Santa Catarina/ Praias and Capitao Jack


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Santa Catarina » Florianópolis
January 28th 2008
Published: January 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we jumped on another two planes and flew south from Recife to Curitiba (Parana), where Soraia grew up and where lots of her family still live. We arrived from boiling (30 C minimum) sunshine in Recife to cold gray rainy skies in Curitiba. And this was supposed to be summer? Its fairly high altitude (900 m) is apparently to blame for the cold weather which really put us off from exploring too much (spoilt after the north?).
We just spent two days in Curitiba, mostly eating and recuperating from the hectic programme in Recife. Managed to fit in two BBQs, one at Soraias fathers house and one at her grandmothers, I love a good steak but even I was considering becoming vergitarian after these two days.
From Curitiba we head further south to Florianopolis, where Soraia studied and he mother and brother still live. Florianópolis (Floripa) is the capital city of Santa Catarina State in southern Brazil. It is a city split between the main island, the Island of Santa Catarina, and the mainland shore and the two parts are connected by a bridge. It is known for its beautiful beaches (yes - more of them!) and its lush green hills.
On the first day we explored the market and then met up with some friends of Soraias from capoeira and then went for, yes you guessed it, another BBQ. I was definately turning vergetarian at this point!
The next day we headed to Canavieiras in the nother of the island to take a boat trip. Only this was no ordinary boat trip. It was a pirate schooner....whose captain was Capitao Jack Sparrow...a.k.a. our friend Lelo! The resemblance is uncanny. So we spent the day on the boat exploring the surrounding islands, dolphin spotting, laughing at Lelo in Capitao Jack mode, and generally soaking up the sun.
The next day we headed two hours further south to praia de Ferrugem, Garopaba, for some much needed rest and recuperation. Praia de Ferrugem is a quiet, safe beach town, with a beach and... not much else really! Just what was in order after a hectic three weeks. So after a delicious meal of grilled mackeral and cold beer on the beach, Soraia returned back to Floripa to start her journey back to Wales. I stayed a few more days in Ferrugem before heading back to Floripa, where I spent my last day exploring the beautiful Lago de Conceiçao. Yes, Floripa doesnt just have gorgeous beaches but also a beautiful unspoil lake in the middle of greeness. Its inhabitants definately did something right in a past life. Then it was off to the bus station to start my 17 hour bus ride to Foz de Iguaçu.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb