Florianopolis


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Santa Catarina » Florianópolis
November 3rd 2006
Published: November 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Barra de LagoaBarra de LagoaBarra de Lagoa

Very pretty fishing village
We arrived in Florianopolis on the 31st Oct or maybe the 1st of Nov... anyway we were immediately approached at the bus station by a guy offering us accommodation. Now we had planned to stay in the International Hostel in town but after reading the old guide book we haggled with the guy and got a Pousada (like a guest house, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, roof etc for 40$ Real per night which is approximately 10 pounds and then ate a great meal for 45 Real. - not bad...

Florianopolis itself is located on the mainland and the Ilha De Santa Catarina connected by 2 bridges (1 of which is Brazil's largest steel construction bridge). We had a morning in town but the best places are around the Island. Pria Mole in particular is an amazing beach and reportedly "the best beach in Brazil" - excellent for surfing and the world championships were recently held here. We stayed in a place called Barra de Lagoa on the other side of the Lagoa de Conceicao from Florianopolis. All around the island there are beautiful beaches and the atmosphere is extremely friendly. We hired a scooter (12 pound per day) and went both south and north of the island.

We seemed to be eating a lot of fish (every meal) but it is so nice - I am not really a fish person, but this is good stuff and very fresh, although we had a lot of fish we understood to be local and found out that it was actually from fresh water in Chile!!

I will confess there was one rather hairy moment on ths scooter (I doubt Stacey will let me forget this). However, I have learnt that whilst cruising at 60kph it is best not to pay too much attention as to why the mud flap doesn't quite line up with the front wheel. Anyway just to say that we had a slight diversion off-road and Stacey appreciated the bucking bronco experience from the back (dont worry parents).

Florianopolis is lovely and a definite highlight so far, leaving us very relaxed and ready for our 16 hr bus ride to Foz de Iguazu.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Rickety bridgeRickety bridge
Rickety bridge

A dog just lies on this all day. Kids jump from it between boats passing - health and safety?
Rocks and waterRocks and water
Rocks and water

Didnt quite captire the intensity of the waves
Herony thingHerony thing
Herony thing

This was actually the size of a man*. *A lie
The bridge and meThe bridge and me
The bridge and me

It probably doesnt do the bridge justice to have a big bulky powerhouse in front!
On the bikeOn the bike
On the bike

One for Rab to appreciate, a whopping 100cc of pure thoroughbred


8th November 2006

Hello
Hi guys - pictures look great - and enjoying your updates. Top Tip2 : whilst riding a bike keep eyes on the road keep it coming X

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 82; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb