Attraction Actions


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro
November 6th 2019
Published: November 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today was a long day but a most enjoyable one. It began with breakfast in the hotel restaurant serving eggs, sausage, bacon, sweets, fruits, lunchmeats, cheeses, cereal, yogurt, breads, juices, coffee or tea. It was a very nice beginning to our day.



Since there was so much ground to cover today with sights we wanted to see we decided to go with a tour group which worked out very well. Our first stop was at the Seleron Steps. These were created by a Chilean born artist, Jorge Seleron, as a tribute to the Brazilian people. He covered the steps between the neighborhoods of Lapa and Santa Teresa with ceramic tiles in the color of the Brazilian flag. He began in 1990 and completed them in 2013 after covering them with over 2000 tiles with 300 of them painted by hand.



Our nest stop was the Maracana Stadium which was originally opened in 1950 to host the FIFA World Cup. It now hosts football matches between top clubs in Rio.



We made a stop at the site of the huge Festival Parade that is held in February. They have permanent bleachers set up at the sight which seat 78,000 people. There are participants of the parade around the area and you can view videos of the parade which is very elaborate.



The National Cathedral was one of our destinations. It is one of the most iconic cathedrals in Brazil. It has seating for 22,000 people. From The outside one wouldn't know it was a cathedral but once inside the stained glass is a sight to behold.



We moved on to The Corcovado which is a 2,330 ft. Mountain in the Tijuana Forest national park. It is home to the iconic 125 ft. Statue of Christ the Redeemer perched at the top. Unfortunately today was very cloudy and our photos are impacted by the clouds. It was still a sight to behold.



Our last stop was at Sugarloaf Mountain. It was named for it's resemblance to the conical molds of clay used to transport blocks of sugar by the Portuguese during the 16th century. The mountain at it highest peak of 1,299 feet can be reached by two cable cars which offer you 360 degree views of the entire city. It truly had breathtaking views.

We really enjoyed the tour and learned a lot about Rio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



7th November 2019

My Visit to Brazil
I just remember my trip to Brazil which went very good, I got lots of memories from that trip. I got services from www.mytmtravels.com which makes it easy for me to travel & stay there.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb