Sea days and a disappointment


Advertisement
Published: April 15th 2024
Edit Blog Post

We left Cape Town a week ago, sailing into the South Atlantic. Our destination was to be Tristan de Cunha, the most remote island in the world. I had been looking forward to landing here as very few ships stop there and it would be a unique experience. We had some rougher weather on the way but everyone was hoping all would be well when we got there as we had to tender to shore.
Meanwhile our routine of three quizzes a day, choir practice, dinner with our table and much reading, eating and drinking continued. We won some ,we lost some but we now have a team of 6 including three Poms which helps with the British bias in the questions .
We reached Tristan but much to everyone's disappointment the sea was too choppy for the tenders to launch. The captain apologised and sailed right round the island so we can say we have circumnavigated it. The island is volcanic and with Ascencion and St Helena forms a British External Territory. The only flat section is where the town is,
the elaborately named Edinburgh of the southern seas. Then we continued to sail for Brazil.
The next four sea days resumed their regular pattern. However a couple of outstanding events occurred. Firstly we had a formal night and Fletcher wore a suit and tie!! Then I was asked to be part of a game show, Trivia Master, a take off of Millionaire. I was the third contestant. The first two answered 8 and 10 questions respectively out of 15. We had the usual options such as ask the audience, 50/50 and phone a friend. I ended up answering all 15 with some help from the audience who all seemed to be on my side. I was really chuffed!!!
Last night we went upstairs to what was supposed to be Dining under the Stars. However, due to poor weather we had the same menu but sat inside in the Sea and Grass restaurant. It was a 6 course menu and I really enjoyed most of it. The lobster and the steak in the main course were both a bit chewy so I did not each much of that but the chocolate dessert was spectacular.
We arrived in Rio this morning and are currently enjoying a nice wine on Copacabana beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb