Santa Teresa and Election Day


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Rio de Janeiro » Botafogo
October 1st 2006
Published: October 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rainy RioRainy RioRainy Rio

You won't find this on a postcard
So having survived our first night in Rio, we stumbled into Sunday and Brazil's election day, where the incumbent President Luiz Inaçio Lula da Silva went into the final day's polling marginally above the 50% needed to secure re-election. However as the day progressed, it became obvious that Lula wasn't going to make it, with his nearest challenger Geraldo Alckmin picking up just over 41% of the vote. This means that there's gonna have to be a runoff election between these two at the end of October, along with all the other undecied gubernatorial contests. Good shit!

Otherwise, the lads and I took the cable-tram up the hills into Santa Teresa, a quaint sort of neighbourhood on one of the smaller hills in Rio. It was only 60 centavos and I can safely say it's among the best things I've done for the price (up there with 3 Trident chewing gums and 1 lap of Daytona USA - Advanced Track). Since it was election day, the place was buzzing with lots of people and there were all sorts of parties going on. Time and again we had to slow to a crawl in the tram to safely pass the cars parked by the rails, sometimes by mere millimetres! It is definitely somewhere I will go again the next time I come down to this part of the world.

We were to meet the girls at the major cathedral in the centre of the city, just down from the little tram's terminus, but when we got there the light was fading fast, and the cathedral was being closed up. The ladies told us that they'd been advised to get the fuck out of Dodge ASAP as there had been a knife attack on some tourists earlier that day, around 10 a.m.! So much for staying out of troubled areas. However, we didn't encounter anyone really dangerous so we got home alright.

The evening was spent eating quality pizza from the joint next door to the hotel and checking up on the election results. It was becoming increasingly apparent that the finish was going to be tighter than a duck's arse in water on a winter's morning, so we called it a night and waited for news in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tram-tasticTram-tastic
Tram-tastic

The terrible three take the tram to Teresa


11th October 2006

what the f**k?
Cathedrals, hairy balls, graffiti, election results? Where are the hot chicks? This is getting beyond a joke :)
13th October 2006

I told you fuckhead, I don't have control of the cameras here! I will endeavour to do my best to snap some hotties. Maybe.
16th October 2006

ooh, you suck :)
It must be almost over at this stage! dont give me this , i dont have control crap, and get a move on, ho ho

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb