On the way home


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Petrópolis
April 25th 2016
Published: April 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Had hoped to have a sleep-in in readiness for overnight flight but no such luck. Off at 8 am to inspect the local grocer's shop which Miriam had assured me would be open then. It wasn't. Went back to pack and as a precaution looked up nearby cafés which Google claimed to be open. An hour later the shop was open but, apart from fruit, nothing suitable for breakfast. Set off for the lanchette (snack-bar) which was supposed to be 8 minutes' walking away. The usual plastic ham and cheese - all the cold meat is pre-formed here unless it's labelled artisan and the juice was very watery although made from actual mango while I waited. Back at my lodgings one last attempt to crack online check-in before giving up.

The taxi driver and Miriam had agreed on a pick-up time of 11 am which I thought was far too early but presumably they knew best. At least would have good chance of an aisle seat if I arrived early for check-in . She was nervous because the (female) driver she normally used wasn't available so she was there just to make sure this one from the nearby taxi rank turned up. As usual,she chatted away in Portuguese even though I know she speaks some English. Brazilians over the age of about 40 seem unwilling to risk having a go, unlike the younger ones. Turns out that she bought this house 20 years ago and has since separated from her husband. I believe it's in one of the most desirable areas of Petropolis. It's certainly a desirable house.

The scenery for the first half of the drive was spectacular. It was what I had missed on the outward journey from Rio to Petrópolis. Range after range of jagged mountains, arranged one behind the other, with Rio down in the valley basin in front of us. If I'd been in a private car I would have definitely stopped to take some photos. In the meantime Harley Davidson bikers weaved their way around us and we overtook a trailer of HD bikes so their convention must finish today. Can see why they would enjoy driving on the precipitous and winding roads round Petropolis - as good a place as any to risk your life. My driver, on the other hand, was the most careful I have had since arriving in Brazil.

As privately predicted by me, arrived at the airport before check-in opened, which gave me the opportunity to wrestle ineffectually with Air France's self-service check-in machines. Wasn't disappointed as had never expected them to work. In the queue behind me was an elderly couple. They were very proud of having done such a long trip - three and a half weeks. So have I, I said. They had been accompanied by a private guide for the whole of their trip. Was dying for them to ask about how I had been travelling but people on organised trips never seem to!

Went through security far too early and discovered to my horror that there were no eating places to be seen. Oh no, it's a conspiracy to stop me eating! Had to make do with a hot dog which was as bad as I had expected and I was lucky to get that. Every time I asked for something on the menu the girl at the stall replied: 'Não tem'. 'There isn't any'. By the end, even she was laughing!

As I boarded the plane about three hours later, who should I walk past in Business Class, but the couple who had done the private escorted tour. I envy them their flat beds but not their way of travelling. I have met and talked with so many Brazilians and received so many kindnesses from complete strangers - not just Brazilians, but also other South Americans and Europeans, that I feel very privileged. Most of all, it has been a fascinating experience, even the bad bits, and there were very few of those.

Am home now, tired, a bit emotional but very much in one piece! Many thanks to those of you who wrote to say nice things about my blogs. It motivated me to keep writing - perhaps with less encouragement I might also have written less! Most of all, it was great to feel that you were accompanying me on my travels and wishing me well. I very much hope there will be many more adventures like this one still to come - watch this space!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb