A touch of paradise in Paraty


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
January 16th 2015
Published: February 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Next up on the itinerary was the beautifully restored colonial town of Paraty on the southern coastline of Rio de Janerio state, with several islands just off shore it’s a highlight for Brazilians and international travellers alike. Our small but comfortable B&B was only a short walk from the bus station, the center of town and the water’s edge. In the afternoon we took in the sights of the town, including their three churches that we learnt were each built by and for the three races of the town (black slaves, freed mixed-race ‘mulattos’, and elitist whites). Having booked a boat tour for the following day we relaxed in town, shopping and listening to local samba drum groups practice from upcoming Carnaval.

The day tour was on a large boat for approximately 100 people that would take us to two islands to swim and snorkel as well as two other beach swimming spots. With a live, bilingual musician and table service for drinks and food it was the perfect way to take in the stunning scenery of bright blue waters spotted with islands. That night it was early to bed, early to rise for a dawn bus to Rio de Janeiro, but not before a phone call to Sydney to wish our best friends all the best for their wedding day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb