Rain, Caipirinhas and pizza with Paraty part 2


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
March 3rd 2011
Published: March 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We came to the end of our time in Ilha Grande and knew we had 3 nights before we needed to be in Sao Paulo for carnival. After some debating and searching through the lonely planet guide it became clear Paraty was the only town between the two places worth seeing. The decision was made easier for our love of the little coast town, the hostel Backpacker's House and its manager Pablo. So off back to Paraty we went!

We quickly began talking with other travellers staying in the hostel and decided to go to the anniversary celebrations in the centre. At 10pm in tripping rain we ventured with 3 German boys, one Australian and 3 English girls to the stage where Danny the singer entertained us. Think Ricky Martin but 100 times more cheesy (one song had a video of him being a cowboy in the background with moody/sultry pouts) and less catchy songs. However we all made the most of it, dancing in the rain and puddles and finished the night with a churros (donut-like tube with sauce filling - yum!)

Another brilliant food find was several cake carts around the town. Most of us were taken by the rich chocolate cakes or truffle balls. Why can't they have these back home! 

Unfortunately the weather never picked up while we were in Paraty but we still tried to make the most it. Visiting another coastal town called Trinidad, watching the odd brave local going in the sea despite the rain and roaring waves. Another day, we returned to the Toboggan waterfall and encouraged our new friends to take the rock slide. 

One of the nights Pablo organised homemade pizzas and caipirinha (Brazilian cocktail). It was brilliant though it was too difficult to not try every kind and we all felt full and possibly over satisfied by the end. 

On our last night in Paraty there was sun for nearly an hour so we grabbed some of the friends we made and headed to the main square. We enjoyed one drink in a beautiful courtyard before the rain sent us inside again. 

We moved onto Sao Paulo hoping for better weather and the carnival spirit!  

Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb