Flour filled pastry friend (Paraty)


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
February 25th 2011
Published: March 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Four hour coach journey landed us in Paraty (a town by the coast) at the Backpacker´s House Hostel. Charmed by it hammocks and large DVD collection of House we quickly felt at home.

First day we decided to hire bikes and ride up to some waterfalls outside the town. We had a choice of medium or difficult route so of course we bravely/stupidly decide to go difficult. We made it and it was worth the effort; although we did need to stop half way for a drink and my (Sheryl) sandal broke which helped keep the ride entertaining. The waterfall had a rock slide into a small pool below. So with the help of some locals pushing us down we got to experience the fun of a natural slide. The more impressive element was watching the locals slide down on their feet or the boy who skipped a rope as they slide down. We had a lunch of a local pastry dish and our title above is the English translation - Perfect name.

The ride back to the hostel was more interesting. Firstly the giant hill we hiked up was now a long downward glide without any effort. Secondly, just as we set off a thunder storm began, after taking shelter for the worse of it, we found ourselves getting drenched and splattered with mud the whole way down.

Second day we enjoyed a relaxing day on the beach and a stroll to a local (and quite unimpressive) ruins. We´ve come to realise Paraty suffers with thunder storms often so our beach trip was regularly interrupted to find shelter. However we did become fascinated by watching the storms develop and disperse.

Third day we decided to take a day kayaking tour. We pedalled over to 2 different private islands, enjoying the deserted beaches, went through a mangroove and then with one last stop made it back to the bay. This doesn´t sound too much but it was hard work and took from 10:30am to around 6pm. Although we were ready to sleep straight after, it was great fun and really enjoyed our day.

Next day we left Paraty, taking a coach and ferry to Ilha Grande, an island described to us as paradise.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb