Paraty


Advertisement
Brazil's flag
South America » Brazil » Rio de Janeiro » Paraty
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=MgCX9vCEll4]Driving about four hours south and along the coast from the city of Rio de Janeiro, Sarah and I found our way to another beautiful colonial town called Paraty. It is located on the Costa Verde (Green Coast) which is a lush, green, coastal forest that runs along the state of Rio de Janeiro. Paraty is similar to Ouro Preto in some respects, with its colonial history and cobblestones. The ‘Gold Trail’ also historically links both towns. Paraty was the port town used to export gold back to Portugal via Rio.

We only spent two days in Paraty and both were rainy…but we still had a lot of fun. Opting for some adventure and Costa Verde scenery, Sarah and I did a Jeep tour on our first day. It was a riot. Since it was drizzling anyway, getting wet was not a problem. Especially when you get to rope-swing off cliff ledges into fresh water pools and slide down rock-face waterslides! YEAH! We progressed from one waterfall to the next, each one better than the one before to complete five waterfalls. The final waterfall / waterslide came after a tour and sample session of a Cachaca distillery! Classic.

The
Strolling around Paraty Strolling around Paraty Strolling around Paraty

The cobblestones were massive!
next day we spent wandering around the old town which is also a historic center and a national historic monument. Closed to vehicles, the streets and buildings make for a great pedestrian experience. At night, the streets and town square are alive with people young and old having a good time. Which we did.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Who's next?Who's next?
Who's next?

Sarah 'Jungle Jane' steps up to the rope....
Cachaca distillery 1Cachaca distillery 1
Cachaca distillery 1

The waterwheel turned the cogs which crushed the sugar cane.
Cachaca distillery 2Cachaca distillery 2
Cachaca distillery 2

The copper stills were used to distill the sugar cane alcohol
Cachaca distillery 3Cachaca distillery 3
Cachaca distillery 3

Then it's time to sample!
Look - a monkey!Look - a monkey!
Look - a monkey!

This little fella came to say hello with a few friends
Crossing the bridgeCrossing the bridge
Crossing the bridge

This time it's Bref


16th January 2011

ooohhH!!!!
I cannot BELIEVE you guys ONLY spent two days in Paraty!!! I spent a week and didnt want to leave!

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb